Sad News

Bow Only

Jun 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My good friend and fellow artifact collector Jay Cliett died yesterday from complications of stomach cancer. You may have known Jay as Americus on this forum. Jay looked for artifacts more than any person I've ever known and loved it more than anyone. His smile will forever be etched in my mind and I saw it every time I ever saw him. I will miss him.

Upvote 0

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We can only imagine the points he would be posting after the 8"s of rain we just got. I guess he and Larson 1951 are comparing notes right about now.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear about Americus' passing.

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am sad to hear this. My condolences to his family and friends. RIP my friend.....I enjoyed every post!!................. I agree we should have a deceased member page to remember them all by.

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This forum is just not the same for me. I miss seeing Americus' posts but even more I miss the chance to get to hunt with him.

OP
OP
Bow Only

Bow Only

Jun 20, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I joined this forum because of Jay. I usually don't post very much but once he became ill, I started posting every week because it gave him something to read and look at. He always enjoyed my 35 years of stories and looking at my artifacts. His funeral is today at 2pm.

creekhunter

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of us never met him but I think we all looked forward to and marveled at his finds. Peace be with him now, so sad.

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I joined this forum because of Jay. I usually don't post very much but once he became ill, I started posting every week because it gave him something to read and look at. He always enjoyed my 35 years of stories and looking at my artifacts. His funeral is today at 2pm.

{{{hugs}}} You, his friends and family are all in my thoughts today. I know it's difficult without our friends and I'll miss his posts and presence in the forum. It's too sad for words.

BagLady

Bronze Member
Mar 13, 2015
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
cheap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So sorry to hear this! He always had amazing finds. May God bless him and his family and friends.

lightman

May 23, 2010
england, ar
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I never knew Americus personally but I feel like I have lost a friend. I always enjoyed his post. RIP my Friend!

Hot diggity

Nov 19, 2014
RIP Americus. Thank you Bow Only. Americus shared great finds all the time & was always welcoming. Very sad news. Well wishes to his loved ones.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a pic of Doc' to put with the name for those of you who never had the privilege of meeting the gentleman.

dr jay.jpg

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
So sorry to hear this! I always knew when I saw he had a post it would be some nice points..and I echo what others have said, he was always so nice and seemed like a friend. Condolences to his family and friends..

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well, you are just going to have to keep posting for us now!

bsit1361

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2010
md
Haven't been here for a while and just got the news from a fellow member that Jay passed. Jay and I talked a few times in the past years and he was a great guy that found killer artifacts. His points and the amount he found made a lot of really jealous and kept us pounding dirt. He will be missed. I'm glad he shared with us.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is quite a loss to hear. I will miss his posts.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jay was the nicesy guy. He always found much and with a lot of color. He posted more finds than anyone it seems. So sorry I am just now seeing this... God bless his family.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread