Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
To those of you that know me I lost my "quality control" dog for my wood shop 2 days ago. She was a black lab and she was named "Mamma Dog" upon "showing up" on our deck one late evening around 03'-04'. We live in a VERY rural area with NO neighbors around and high on a ridge top here in TN.

TRUE STORY NOW: I was lying on the couch watching TV and this dog/black lab just walked up and sat in front of me by the slider doors going to our pool deck 4ft. away. All she did was sit there looking in at me as if to say "open the damn door" I want in and I'm home....???? I told my wife "somebody" was her to see her. So she gets up and comes to the door. We let let this Lab in and INSTANTLY "she's home". Where she came from we'll never know...? We've rescued 20+ dogs since 1994. For some reason this dog wrapped her life around me @ that point. And I mean WRAPPED HER LIFE around ME and I hers then. And this Lab loved everybody in the household but me in particular...!!

7 days later we had 13 "black lab" puppies and hence the name "Mamma Dog". We found homes for all her puppies & had her fixed afterwards.

But I kid nobody.... THIS DOGS LIFE REVOLVED AROUND ME but she totally cared about everybody else within the household also. This dog never met a stranger but her alliance was unbroken to me. I mean where I went.... SHE went. It could be ATV'ing, exploring / hiking, caving or on a beer run... she went!!!! She even went DEEP into a hostile environment in the cave and wouldn't stop or quit. Then she "helped" when I started to build toy boxes and I put her in charge of quality control. She'd lie under the table saw or in the planner chips and keep watch. When I was done we'd come in together.

So 2 years ago her "runner" mode quit. Then her "jumper" mode quit and I had to help her into my car. And then her "walker" really slowed down and then her "breather".

"Mamma Dog" died in one of her favorite spots on our property 8-11-17 snuggled in the shrubs by the pool in the shade. I went and bought supplies and arrived home at 11 am. I went up and loved on her and her tail just thumped against the deck wall. A 1/2 hour later I headed back in from the shop and she was dead.

I regret not having her put down or shooting her myself but I just couldn't bring myself to do this to this dog. She was faithful as hell to me.

Touching / holding my father when he died and my Daughter / Grandson being killed are the only things that come close today to losing this dog in my life now. I guess you'd have to be me...????

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sorry Brad.

I've had some that are just pets, then there are others that become part of the family.

I had a lab that was my buddy. He went everywhere with me too. We had to put him down a few years ago. I cried the whole time digging the hole.(I couldn't go to watch him put down my wife and Dad did that) It was one of the toughest things I had to do. One of the worst/best pets I've ever had. I say worst because he would destroy things in the house when we were gone. But was great when we were home or when he was with us. That dog had door knobs chewed and dented with teeth marks. If we left him he was ticked he wanted to be right with us!!!

Last edited:

Mud Hut

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dog gone it! I love my dogs and obviously you love yours, too. Losing one is just plain painful no matter how you look at it. I am very sorry for your loss, Limitool! My heart aches right there with you!

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My sincerest condolences !!!! My golden " Louie" passed in 2006 at 16 1/2 , and was also by my side 24/7 and that hole will never be filled

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Lost my" boy" a while back and despite a dozen others ...Lost my anchorman huntin / running buddy.
No regrets. But miss the connection. I pat the only little cedar box I' ve saved ,(his remains are in) now and then ;but that's not what I'm tryin to touch.

Hang in there Brad.
She adopted you for a reason. And went out on her own terms.

Last edited:

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
52100ST.jpg

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear about that.

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
What an incredible dog. She lived a long and happy life, full of love and security. She sounds like she more than just a pet, but a huge part of your family. She chose you, rather than the other away around. Around thirteen years ago my family got a black lab, but she was a little too hyper to have around two tiny children. We gave her to a close friend, who loved her very much. On Facebook I saw photos of her going out with the family everywhere. A week ago, right after I saw a photo of her, looking very old. I read a very sad post that she had passed away from
old age. In the end everything worked out for her, she got a loving new home, and my family got a smaller dog, who is the greatest dog we could ask for.

Sorry for your loss, my condolences.

Last edited:

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My condoleances Limitool.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know EXACTLY what you are going through. I just did. Condolences. Terry

The_Piratess

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2017
Ghost Ship
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter ID, so far...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear this Limitool and having been where you are now myself, my heart breaks for you. You gave Momma Dog a loving and happy home. By her actions I KNOW that she could have never found a better home or person to spend all of her time with and she chose you! Also thank you for rescuing so many dogs. Momma Dog was your repayment for you're having done that.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am so sorry Brad, for the loss of your beloved family member, four paws or not she was family.
She was well loved and returned the favor.
Led a good life and died where she wanted to be, we should all be that lucky.
I have lost many over time. Last one was my daughter's chocolate lab, she was my personal door greeter. I couldn't get in the house with out a proper greeting! She never left my side when i was there visiting. She even alerted me to a place on my leg that wasn't healing right. I miss her to this day, and will always.
They are easier to love and love you back unconditionally, better than most people.

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Limitool

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you all.... I'm a 62 y/o "little girl" when it comes to this dogs passing. I guess we'll NEVER know how or why she showed up here at my door in this remote area. But NEVER have I had a dog so attached to me 24/7 as this one was.... whatever her reason...?

And I totally realize many of you have lost dogs just as attached to you as mine was to me.... but it sure hits home when it's "you"... right...???? Here's a few pics of her.

Attachments

• 0327111113_0001_0001.jpg
    0327111113_0001_0001.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 62
  • 0327111118.jpg
    0327111118.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 66
  • 0330111354.jpg
    0330111354.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 59

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
She's a sweetheart!

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Brad I was just thinking about you and pulled up the last post I could find from you. I'm so sorry about your sweet dog,she looked like a good girl and a true and faithful friend.

scott9050

Apr 8, 2013
Martinsburg, WV
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Teknetics Omega 8500
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To those of you that know me I lost my "quality control" dog for my wood shop 2 days ago. She was a black lab and she was named "Mamma Dog" upon "showing up" on our deck one late evening around 03'-04'. We live in a VERY rural area with NO neighbors around and high on a ridge top here in TN.

TRUE STORY NOW: I was lying on the couch watching TV and this dog/black lab just walked up and sat in front of me by the slider doors going to our pool deck 4ft. away. All she did was sit there looking in at me as if to say "open the damn door" I want in and I'm home....???? I told my wife "somebody" was her to see her. So she gets up and comes to the door. We let let this Lab in and INSTANTLY "she's home". Where she came from we'll never know...? We've rescued 20+ dogs since 1994. For some reason this dog wrapped her life around me @ that point. And I mean WRAPPED HER LIFE around ME and I hers then. And this Lab loved everybody in the household but me in particular...!!

7 days later we had 13 "black lab" puppies and hence the name "Mamma Dog". We found homes for all her puppies & had her fixed afterwards.

But I kid nobody.... THIS DOGS LIFE REVOLVED AROUND ME but she totally cared about everybody else within the household also. This dog never met a stranger but her alliance was unbroken to me. I mean where I went.... SHE went. It could be ATV'ing, exploring / hiking, caving or on a beer run... she went!!!! She even went DEEP into a hostile environment in the cave and wouldn't stop or quit. Then she "helped" when I started to build toy boxes and I put her in charge of quality control. She'd lie under the table saw or in the planner chips and keep watch. When I was done we'd come in together.

So 2 years ago her "runner" mode quit. Then her "jumper" mode quit and I had to help her into my car. And then her "walker" really slowed down and then her "breather".

"Mamma Dog" died in one of her favorite spots on our property 8-11-17 snuggled in the shrubs by the pool in the shade. I went and bought supplies and arrived home at 11 am. I went up and loved on her and her tail just thumped against the deck wall. A 1/2 hour later I headed back in from the shop and she was dead.

I regret not having her put down or shooting her myself but I just couldn't bring myself to do this to this dog. She was faithful as hell to me.

Touching / holding my father when he died and my Daughter / Grandson being killed are the only things that come close today to losing this dog in my life now. I guess you'd have to be me...????

Don't regret not putting her down, she got to pass at home with familiar surroundings with the family she loved and loved her. It happened just like it was supposed to.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread