Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Tibetan Saddle Ring...Silver!

Not a lot of targets at the beach yesterday. But still a nice time and especially nice to visit with my detecting buddy Dan while I detected one of our local beaches.

I had a forced hiatus of 7 days with no beach detecting due to being without a car...blown head gasket...expensive. I did get 4 hunts in those 7 days by walking to the local boating beach and lagoon beach which are fortunately close enough to back pack my XP Deus detector. But it was so great to see the ocean again.. finally... and to swing the Dual Field again!

After a few coins I did get something interesting. One of those .. not exactly what I want but more like what I need .. targets. Not very deep... something like 2" a strange ring a bit squashed. It was dark and my first thought was silver. But no marks at all. Really too fancy to be a junk ring.

The aluminum foil electrolysis at home confirmed the ID when it started to heat up. A bit of scrubbing with baking soda (I bought the 13-1/2 lb bag at Sam's Club) got it shiny as new.

Any opinions on age? Lots of interesting scroll work is making me think it's older.

UPDATE: Thsnks to my buddy Dan.. I learned that this is a Tibetan Saddle Ring. It weighs in at 16.6 grams...pretty heavy for a silver ring.

BEFORE
Saddle ring 18 oct sm.jpg

AFTER
Saddle ring cleaned 18 oct sm.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joe that is a very nice ring that I would be happy to see in my scoop. :notworthy:

MiamiFox

Aug 2, 2013
Miami Florida
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030. Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, Howie Scoop
Colt Python .357 6"
Winchester 94 30-30
Primary Interest:
Very cool ring !!! My first impression would be it came from India

OP
OP
DrJoePrime

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Well my good buddy Dan has solved the mystery the ring is actually a "Tibetan Saddle Ring". Very interesting to Google that. It seems the reddish stones are coral. There are no markings anywhere on the ring except for design.

Here are a couple more photos:

TibSadRg 1 sm.jpg TibSadRg 2 sm.jpg

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Dr. Joe, that is a unique ring find! Very interesting design!

Congrats on finding that one!

Lorraine

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread