Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2013
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been trying to stock up on silver for the past month. I have been wondering how much I should be paying for silver. At the local flea market here are the prices for silver coins :
Rossevelt dimes- $2.75, mercury dimes- $3 quarters- $8.50, 40 percent halves- $5, 90 percent halves- $10, Morgan dollars- $28, and silver eagles- $34. I want some more opinions on if these are good deals or not. Thanks for looking!

Last edited:

gunner45

May 12, 2012
Bedford PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Everything is way too high except for the 90% halves. The price is up there a little but not outrageous.
A good buying price is $17-1 right now.

OP
OP
Hunter612

Hunter612

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2013
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for replying I wasn't sure if I was just being a cheapskate. Most of the 90 percent halves are walkers so I might pick up a couple for $10 each when I go back. I sat with one of the vendors and talked to him about coins for about 40 minutes. Maybe if I am really nice to him he will lower his prices a little. Then there was a vendor who had a few Morgan dollars and he priced a few and there was one that looked like it had been ran over that he wanted $96 for because he said it was uncirculated. I couldn't even read the date on it. I almost fainted when he said $96. Some people just think their stuff is worth a fortune when it isn't.

Last edited:

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Go to your local bullion shop. I've got a couple near me:

One is a family-owned "Cash 4 Gold" style shop, they just open up coinflation on their computer and sell me just about anything for melt.

One is a high-end jewellery shop that sells for a small premium over melt

One is just a run-of-the-mill coin shop that will sell for a slightly larger premium over melt (but it has more collector coins than the rest of them)

Flea markets are usually poor places to buy bullion, you have to outsmart the dealer, look at foreign silver and numismatic coins, stick to your coin and bullion shops for your bullion.

OP
OP
Hunter612

Hunter612

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2013
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go to your local bullion shop. I've got a couple near me:

One is a family-owned "Cash 4 Gold" style shop, they just open up coinflation on their computer and sell me just about anything for melt.

One is a high-end jewellery shop that sells for a small premium over melt

One is just a run-of-the-mill coin shop that will sell for a slightly larger premium over melt (but it has more collector coins than the rest of them)

Flea markets are usually poor places to buy bullion, you have to outsmart the dealer, look at foreign silver and numismatic coins, stick to your coin and bullion shops for your bullion.

Thanks for the info. I am wanting to go to a local pawn shop. I don't know of any coin shops in my area.

OP
OP
Hunter612

Hunter612

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2013
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$8.50 for quarters?! Wow that is robbery.

I know. I think he looks out of a red book for all of his prices. He sure doesn't go off of the price of silver. He told me he can't go any lower because they are a deal for $8.50.

Last edited:

Eminem

Banned
Jul 20, 2012
Motor City
Detector(s) used
Not sure
Primary Interest:
Other
I know. I think he looks out of a red book for all of his prices. He sure doesn't go off of the price of silver. He told me he can't go any lower because they are a deal for $8.50.

Nope the truth is that joker prob bought when silva was 40+ dollas an ounce and doesn't want to take a loss.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As of Sat, July 1st @ my favored coin store the melt prices were 2$ for dimes [Mercs or Rosys] , 5$ -Quarters, 10$ -Halves .[Kennedy's] .So other than the Halve's your man is selling to high. sounds like he is high .lol

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
WAIT FOR $15 AN OUNCE

Davers is MISTAKEN, the price of AG July 1st, WILL be much lower than stated prices unless his local coin store is lying. June 1st more accurate

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes but what will LCS prices be if/when AG drops to that price? Will premiums rise so as to offset the fall of spot?

Many shops will throw a lot of their silver in the vault and wait till spot goes up. Any silver for sale would have a hefty premium.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
50 was right ,I did mean June 1st

hannahgodfrey

Apr 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The melt price is bucked up with hefty premiums. Are these coins certified??? Ask for authentication to avoid being a victim of scam.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Even most common date Walking Liberty Halves in Good (G) condition or better have intrinsic collectible value above the Silver that they contain! Considering that these are generally worth $14 currently in Good condition, at $10 each, that is not a bad price and you will likely get some in Very Good (VG) or better condition. If the Seller has many Walking Liberty Halves, he/she might even give you a discount if you purchase a large quantity. Now, if any of the Walking Liberty Halves are even a little bit more scarcer such a slightly lower mintage common dates (which are valued at $18 or more each just in Good condition) or even really scarce Semi-Key and Key Date (which can go as high as into the hundreds even in Good condition), then at $10 a piece, you could come away with some real bonuses and hear the cha-ching ringing inside your' head! Just stay away from any About Good (AG) or worse condition coins unless they are Key Date coins. See the Price Guide for Walking Liberty Halves below.

http://numismedia.com/fmv/prices/wlkhlv/pricesgd.shtml

Frank

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hunter612

Hunter612

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2013
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am going to take this as a sign that I should buy some of the walkers.

Attachments

• image-2011436821.jpg
    image-2011436821.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 116

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I am going to take this as a sign that I should buy some of the walkers.

LOL!!!! Hey, go with it!

Hell, I have been divorced for 4 1/2 years and the message in a Fortune cookie that I ate this morning reads "A new relationship is about to blossom. You will be blessed.". What the heck, I will give anything a try at this point! LOL!!!

Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread