Saffron Rice with Capers and Pine Nuts

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Saffron Rice with Capers and Pine Nuts

I'm posting this just so you know that Arkies occasionally (but only occasionally) go beyond biscuits and gravy!
It's outrageously expensive but worth it when you've got a rare urge to splurge.

• 1 cup uncooked white rice. Basmati is a good choice. Do not use Minute Rice or brown rice.

• 1 pinch saffron. Don't use too much... it's powerful stuff, an acquired taste for some, and costs the earth besides. I recommend Penzey's Kashmir "Mogra Cream" Indian Saffron.

• 2-3 tbsp. baby capers— smallest you can get.

• 2-3 tbsp. pine nuts, plain or lightly toasted.

Prepare rice according to package directions. When water comes to a full simmer, sprinkle in saffron before covering with lid and reducing heat.

When recommended cooking time has expired, take rice off heat and let sit for another 5 minutes before uncovering. Fluff rice with a fork. Add capers and pine nuts, then gently combine. Serve immediately.

The bright yellow saffron rice with green capers makes an especially nice presentation for an Easter dinner.

But down here we're still partial to biscuits and gravy!

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks, PBK. I'm going to try it.

I do know that saffron is expensive and hard to find, because my family makes saffron bread at Christmas time. I'm not going to share that recipe though. I'd rather eat cardboard. ::) ;)

OP
OP
PBK

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Mona Lisa said:
Thanks, PBK. I'm going to try it.

I do know that saffron is expensive and hard to find, because my family makes saffron bread at Christmas time. I'm not going to share that recipe though. I'd rather eat cardboard. ::) ;)

Gosh, I hope you don't feel the same way about the rice!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread