Salaries of Charity CEOs Compared

F

Felinepeachy

As you open your pockets for yet another natural disaster, keep these facts in mind:

As of 2010, Marsha J. Evans, was no longer employed by the American Red Cross. According to United Press International, Gail McGovern took over as CEO of the American Red Cross in 2008 at an annual salary of $500,000 plus a signing bonus of $65,000.

Brian Gallagher is still President and CEO of United Way, and currently earns $1,037,140 a year, according to a December 2010 report from the American Institute of Philanthropy.

W. Todd Bassett is no longer National Commander of the Salvation Army. The current National Commander, Israel L. Gaither, is paid somewhere between $79,389 and $243,248 annually for his services. (Since the Salvation Army, as a religious organization, doesn't report its expenses to the IRS, the only available figures for executive salaries are estimates, which vary greatly from source to source.)

UNICEF's Executive Director, Anthony Lake, earns $201,351 a year, according to a 2010 communique from the organization — dramatically less than the $1,200,000 per year claimed in the message above.

Dave Toycen, the President of World Vision Canada, earns $184,000 per year plus a "moderate vehicle allowance," according to that organization's annual report to the Canada Revenue Agency.

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Freedom Ace Coin Commander and Ace 250
Wow! That shows where a lot of the donations are going. It's just not right
going to them, instead of going to where the donor intended. I have often
heard that a lot of the donations to worthy causes don't all go to where you
want it to go.

OP
OP
F

Felinepeachy

Yes, its the main reason I quit donating to the HSUS because they spend so much money on t shirts and literature and ads etc. I want the money to go to feeding and helping animals and they are sending folks tshirts, address labels and notepads LOL

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my Dad was private corporate President and made way more than that.

it is hard work and while I can't say about charities....administration takes alot of costs.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is why I also quit giving to charity. Over 30 yrs ago I hear this one woman saying that she was getting ready to go to FL to help out and she was employ by the Red Cross and she said that she would get 5 thousand for 10 days for being there I quit giving. When I hear this. I really believe this is what is wrong with America. People think that they are worth ungodly salaries......Matt

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
They're ridiculous salaries i agree, and it's not just in America. To put things into perspective though...people probably pay a lot more to go watch their sporting heroes each week than they do to charities, and many of them earn a lot more than the people above....PER WEEK!

WHY do we put up with that crap??? WHY do we keep contributing to that crap??? >:( (makes me mad lol)

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
why do 'we' put up with the crappola?

cause we do not want to rock the boat.....oh yes, a few do and they are the ones that everyone says goes 'overboard' for their cause and they hit that 'idiot light to the public' ya know.

not many want to be in the idiot light

and many are too worried about day to day survival to care about the big picture.

I guess those can cover that question. Other than that, what else is there? not sure

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
I've known about the red-cross for a long time now, and will never donate to them. I wish I could curse here...

olroy70

Feb 3, 2011
gainesville, tx
Detector(s) used
Garret 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The red cross charges for coffee to service men. They did during WWII!!!!

Salvation army doesnt pay their people. I think it is only expenses......

Bell ringers at Christmas are completely volunteer

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread