Salinian and Chumash Points

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
points2.jpg The ten points on the left are from my property in Atascadero, California, the thread about the bowl tells about it, and the points would be Salinian. Those points that look like arrowheads are to large, and are more likely atl atl points. The ten on the right are Chumash and for the most part come from the mound I mentioned in a different post, the one out by Morrow Bay where my Uncle taught me what to look for when hunting arrow heads. The top right hand point looks like it's broken, but it has been worked into that rounded point, and I'm wondering if perhaps it was a knife. The bottom red one was found in the driveway of our house in San Luis Obispo. It was in the drip line, and no doubt came in with the driveway rock. It was broken when found, the car had been driving on it, probably for years, and I glued it together using model airplane glue, which you can see in the photo. Down the middle is paint pigment, both red and yellow. In eastern San Luis Obispo county is the Carrizo Plains, and out on that plain there is a location called Painted Rock. There is also a dry lake bed called "Soda Lake." During the war military aircraft would shoot up Soda Lake for practice. Our extended family went out there for a picnic one summer day after the war, (WWII) and us kids were having a ball finding .50 cal. brass in the sage brush. There was an old rusted out dump where the adults were looking for bottles or what ever, and one of the men killed a rattlesnake, so us kids were gathered up and we went up to Painted Rock. I didn't take any pictures at the time, but there are plenty on the internet. I'll grab a couple of them. painted_rock_carrizo_plain.JPG painted_rock_carrizo_plain1.jpg painted_rock_carrizo_plain2.JPG You can see from the first picture that the land has been farmed right up to the rock, and in those days the rock was on private property. We stopped at the farm house and were given permission to go up to the rock, and sadly, by the late 1940's the paintings had already been vandalized. I believe the state owns the rock now, and there is some semblance of protection. Back to the paint pigment, the land had been farmed and everyone in our group was on the plowed ground looking for arrowheads or what ever. I found this out of place mineral, totally different from everything else around there, and the adults all agreed that it's paint pigment, and now so do I. The Indians ground it up and mixed it with hide glue to make paint. If anyone is interested in more information about Painted Rock, Google Painted Rock Carrizo Plain, and there is lots of information.

Last edited:
Upvote 1

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spent a lot of time out there on the plains!!!Had a dog I named Carizzo,after em. Great thread Bosn!!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spent a lot of time out there on the plains!!!Had a dog I named Carizzo,after em. Great thread Bosn!!

That sounded like some of your ole stompin grounds Kuger. You need to catch up on Bosnmates post. You may see some more familiar areas. Good post Bosnmate. You have a found in your life time, a nice collection. I hope your children keep the history of it intact. You may give them the link to here. Great stories sir!

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
hey Bosnmate
that is a great and very interesting post
thanks for posting
colorful material

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do need to catch up!I have a lot of very fond memories out in that country!!!!There is actually gold there too...actually the most jars full I have ever seen......
Unfortunatly I never even looked at the ground looking for "artifacts".We were doing predator control work and Tule Elk survey's.I did find my first Gold Coin North of there

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have some really nice artifacts there! :thumbsup: Other than the potential for arrowheads, the site of those rocks looks like a really good site to metal detect.

OP
OP
BosnMate

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I do need to catch up!I have a lot of very fond memories out in that country!!!!There is actually gold there too...actually the most jars full I have ever seen......
Unfortunatly I never even looked at the ground looking for "artifacts".We were doing predator control work and Tule Elk survey's.I did find my first Gold Coin North of there

I guess the Nature Conservancy has bought up most of the plains now, and it's a National Monument, and they have introduced antelope back on the plains. That's probably for the best, it's tough country to farm. They used to grow barley, and it didn't rain enough to make a crop, so half the land had to be plowed and left to save the moisture, and the land was rotated every year. They'd get about a third of the yield of the mid west. In my day, one of the better summer jobs for high school boys was tying sacks on the harvester.

Deepsnibs

Jun 5, 2023
View attachment 715229 The ten points on the left are from my property in Atascadero, California, the thread about the bowl tells about it, and the points would be Salinian. Those points that look like arrowheads are to large, and are more likely atl atl points. The ten on the right are Chumash and for the most part come from the mound I mentioned in a different post, the one out by Morrow Bay where my Uncle taught me what to look for when hunting arrow heads. The top right hand point looks like it's broken, but it has been worked into that rounded point, and I'm wondering if perhaps it was a knife. The bottom red one was found in the driveway of our house in San Luis Obispo. It was in the drip line, and no doubt came in with the driveway rock. It was broken when found, the car had been driving on it, probably for years, and I glued it together using model airplane glue, which you can see in the photo. Down the middle is paint pigment, both red and yellow. In eastern San Luis Obispo county is the Carrizo Plains, and out on that plain there is a location called Painted Rock. There is also a dry lake bed called "Soda Lake." During the war military aircraft would shoot up Soda Lake for practice. Our extended family went out there for a picnic one summer day after the war, (WWII) and us kids were having a ball finding .50 cal. brass in the sage brush. There was an old rusted out dump where the adults were looking for bottles or what ever, and one of the men killed a rattlesnake, so us kids were gathered up and we went up to Painted Rock. I didn't take any pictures at the time, but there are plenty on the internet. I'll grab a couple of them. View attachment 715239 View attachment 715240 View attachment 715241 You can see from the first picture that the land has been farmed right up to the rock, and in those days the rock was on private property. We stopped at the farm house and were given permission to go up to the rock, and sadly, by the late 1940's the paintings had already been vandalized. I believe the state owns the rock now, and there is some semblance of protection. Back to the paint pigment, the land had been farmed and everyone in our group was on the plowed ground looking for arrowheads or what ever. I found this out of place mineral, totally different from everything else around there, and the adults all agreed that it's paint pigment, and now so do I. The Indians ground it up and mixed it with hide glue to make paint. If anyone is interested in more information about Painted Rock, Google Painted Rock Carrizo Plain, and there is lots of information.
I was blessed to be one of the few archeologist that recorded and mapped the Carissa plain rock art sites, habitation, historic, and paleo sites. Peppered between the Caliente and Volcareo mnts. Spent months surveying & recording. The team i worked w on that job did digital photo enhancement that showed much of the art lost to the naked eye on the many panels. Be very mindful of the rattlesnake dens in the spring and fall. Painted rock is the den of all dens. The first whites to settle the area. Had a daughter who describes painted rock before the sheep herders disturbed the yokut/chumash sites. Her writings were found by me while reading in the blm ranch house where our crew bunked. There is a crack to the left as u enter the natural vajayjay lmfao as u enter painted rock it is the beginning of a rattlesnake motif that encompasses a great portion of the rock shelter. My favorite piece of rock art is a chumash rattlesnake shaman holding a snake in each hand. My favorite yoKUT piece is the HOTDOG UMBRELLA PIECE. LMFAO. BTW. DURING OUR INVENTORY SURVEY THE FIRST AND ONLY SO CAL CLOVIS CAMP WAS FOUND & RECORED. I WAS TOLD ITS WAS GOING TO BE NAMED THE HAKIM SITE. ON THE FIRST PHASE MY BOSS AND I FOUND SOME INCREDIBLE PALEO SITES DAT8NG TO THE TERMINAL PLISTOCENE. THE TRUE NAME IS CARRISA PLAIN NAMED AFTER A NATIVE GRASS ASSOCIATED W SODA LAKE THE STOOD AS HIGH AS A HORSES HEAD. ANY QUESTIONS FEEL FREE TA HIT ME UP. TRULY A GEM OF A LOCATION OF
IN CALIFORNIA AS WELL AS THE WHOLE OF THE USA. IF U STUDY ART OR HAVE AN INTREST IN AMERICAN AS WELL AS NATIVE AMERICAN HISTORY. ITS A MUST THAT U GO THERE ASAP. ALOHA

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was blessed to be one of the few archeologist that recorded and mapped the Carissa plain rock art sites, habitation, historic, and paleo sites. Peppered between the Caliente and Volcareo mnts. Spent months surveying & recording. The team i worked w on that job did digital photo enhancement that showed much of the art lost to the naked eye on the many panels. Be very mindful of the rattlesnake dens in the spring and fall. Painted rock is the den of all dens. The first whites to settle the area. Had a daughter who describes painted rock before the sheep herders disturbed the yokut/chumash sites. Her writings were found by me while reading in the blm ranch house where our crew bunked. There is a crack to the left as u enter the natural vajayjay lmfao as u enter painted rock it is the beginning of a rattlesnake motif that encompasses a great portion of the rock shelter. My favorite piece of rock art is a chumash rattlesnake shaman holding a snake in each hand. My favorite yoKUT piece is the HOTDOG UMBRELLA PIECE. LMFAO. BTW. DURING OUR INVENTORY SURVEY THE FIRST AND ONLY SO CAL CLOVIS CAMP WAS FOUND & RECORED. I WAS TOLD ITS WAS GOING TO BE NAMED THE HAKIM SITE. ON THE FIRST PHASE MY BOSS AND I FOUND SOME INCREDIBLE PALEO SITES DAT8NG TO THE TERMINAL PLISTOCENE. THE TRUE NAME IS CARRISA PLAIN NAMED AFTER A NATIVE GRASS ASSOCIATED W SODA LAKE THE STOOD AS HIGH AS A HORSES HEAD. ANY QUESTIONS FEEL FREE TA HIT ME UP. TRULY A GEM OF A LOCATION OF
IN CALIFORNIA AS WELL AS THE WHOLE OF THE USA. IF U STUDY ART OR HAVE AN INTREST IN AMERICAN AS WELL AS NATIVE AMERICAN HISTORY. ITS A MUST THAT U GO THERE ASAP. ALOHA
Post any pictures you may have from your surveys.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions