fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Environmentalists love to talk about the epic native Salmon runs of yesteryear. What they won't talk about is the fact that at the same time of these epic healthy fisheries was mining in a far larger scale then today. There is less mining then ever in this state, yet the modern day robofisheries are still struggling and failing. How much money and time has been wasted shutting down a process that doesn't do jack in comparison to the bigger culprits. I believe one could successfully argue that all the recreational dredges in the state running at the same time do less harm to the rivers ecosystem then a good old fashioned storm does. You want to fix the salmon problem- rip out the pumps that are grinding up the smolt, sink the foreign joint venture fishing vessels that sit 12 miles of our coast, and outlaw the "traditional" monofilament gill nets.

Upvote 0

GrizzlyGremlin

Nov 17, 2012
I have studied the salmon runs in much depth and and have written numerous essays to pass numerous classes regarding the issue. I worked with eco nuts on a daily basis for 4 years addressing every "Issue" you can imagine. This topic of fisheries is very debated and generally points miners as the "destroyers of the spawning habitat" in the remote reaches of rivers. My focus, as well as the few level minded kids in my major focused on dams. The research is very clear that dams are the SOLE reason for stocks declining drastically. Over fishing is another topic that springs up but is a moot point.. Fish to many people are a NECESSITY! They dont live without them!
Damming rivers ultimately slows the rivers which trap sediment and fill in. I however do not have an answer as to where our electricity will come from without dams. Again find a beter way and become a Trillionaire!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread