Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went over by Silverthorn Colorado hiking along Salt Creek today. Notice the dead pines in the upper left corner of the pic. The pine beetle epidemic killed them. Behind me is a great big open empty space where they're clear cutting out bunches more dead pines. All these trees were alive and well when I came here 6 years ago. I could not get a pic without downed or dead trees in this area so I just took one.

Attachments

• 11-8a.jpg
    11-8a.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 292

Jdubya

May 19, 2005
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bought desk in Salida that was made from Pine beetle wood, really unique, I will post some photos of it.

S

stefen

The mountain communities in Riverside and San Bernardino counties (California) suffered from Pine Bettles several yearsd ago...

The culprit is drought...when the trees are under stress, they fall victim to the beetles...

A tree will decline rapidly within weeks...took several years to harvest the trees and helicopter out of the mountains...

Fortunately, we had Cypress trees around our home...which are immune to beetle infestation.

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There seems to be a threat to our trees from 'every direction', we are having the same problem in this area.

Fossis............

OP
OP
RGINN

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The wood makes real pretty furniture, so post that pic Jdubya. The beetle damage gives it a bluish tint. Our winters haven't been cold enough to kill the pine beetles the last few years, and the forest is not that diverse. Mostly lodge poles. Hikes are gonna get more interesting in a year or so when these trees start falling more regularly.

Grafixwild

Oct 18, 2010
Western Colorado
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hadn't been over that way for quite a few years and rolling through last summer was shocked at the beetle kill. We were on out way to Rocky Mountain National Park and it was equally bad. I'm afraid someday lightning is gonna light the place up then the erosion comes. I spose it's a nature thing but I don't like it.

Sweet pic, keep em comming and stay warm.

Phil

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still beautiful country.

S

stefen

Grafixwild said:
I'm afraid someday lightning is gonna light the place up then the erosion comes. I spose it's a nature thing but I don't like it.

phil

Nature has many hiccups, and eventually, they heal themselves.

You're correct in that its not appreciated or liked...but I think we all look forward to what the new scenery will entail.

Its a slow evolution and many times we don't recognize the transition...

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Freedom Ace Coin Commander and Ace 250
That is a nice view there. I'm sorry to see all the destruction caused by that Pine Beetle. It's a sad thing to see
so many beautiful trees dying like that. We have a similar problem around here now with the Emerald Ash Borer.
They hit only the Ash tree and can kill it within three years. I have already cut 4 of them down and now have
7 more to cut down, with a couple close to the house with a power line on the other side of them. Keep those
scenic pictures coming. You have some beautiful country around your place. I enjoy seeing them. :thumbsup:

Ray

S

stefen

Ray S S said:
We have a similar problem around here now with the Emerald Ash Borer.
They hit only the Ash tree and can kill it within three years. I have already cut 4 of them down and now have
7 more to cut down, with a couple close to the house with a power line on the other side of them. :thumbsup:

Ray

Ray,

In Idyllwild where we have out mountain home, the Edison Company paid for and removed all dead trees within areas containing power lines...that included any tree that could fall onto a line...thats probably a 200 foot or more swath.

The local power company in your area may have a similar program.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread