Greenie
Sep 26, 2017
Cape Coral
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hello Everyone,
I am new to this forum, as well as Metal Detecting. I do a lot of fly fishing on the Gulf Coast down here in SW Florida and thought it would be neat to carry a detector along with me.
Can anyone offer input on a good entry level unit? It doesn't necessarily need to be fully submersible, just resistant to the splash from the surf I would imagine.
Thanks!
-Steve

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Multi-frequency VLF, or Pulse Induction units are needed for saltwater. These machines start at $600.00 new, up to $2,500.00
Beach scoops cost another $150 - $275.00
Do your homework. Tesoro Sand Shark PI unit with 8" coil $589.99

:skullflag:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome aboard Steve. Splash proof usually means a waterproof detector cause if you lose it in the surf it's probably history. A used Excalibur would be nice as it's a multi frequency detector. Best of luck!

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd suggest a used Tesoro Sand Shark PI unit with 8" coil.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LIKE others say - best to go with a PI machine and try to learn to dig everything - Tesoro is good - or if you can find something used and cheap
ones on ebay or craigs - like a whites pi or garrett - just make sure you go with a name brand - there are some cheap Chinese models out there
good luck

OP
OP
U

UnitedFly

Greenie
Sep 26, 2017
Cape Coral
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
I have located a used Sand Shark unit and the original owner states its only been used 3 times. I know there's always a chance something may be wrong with it, but how solid are these units? If there is in fact a problem with the unit, how good is Tesoro at handling warranty claims?
Thanks,

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have located a used Sand Shark unit and the original owner states its only been used 3 times. I know the There is no better warranty service in the world.

Watch this video, and check the seal between the cover plate and battery compartment; the connections from the box to the hardwired coil (old machines have removable coils - stay away from these older machines). Check the surface of the coil (scuff cover included?). Check the headphones and connection. I would not pay more than $400.00 cash

OP
OP
U

UnitedFly

Greenie
Sep 26, 2017
Cape Coral
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Thanks for the info Terry. What do you recommend for a beach scoop?

Foggynotion

Jun 11, 2017
SW Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Ctx 3030/
DetectorPro Headhunter Pulse/
DetectorPro Underwater 8 / Fisher CZ21
Primary Interest:
If you buy a used Sand Shark, you won't have any warranty. They are only warrantied to the original purchaser. Also, you have to make sure you send in the warranty card to register it or be sure to save the receipt, because they won't take your word for it that you are the original purchaser. They have such a great warranty, that I would only buy a new one, unless you get a used one super cheap.

OP
OP
U

UnitedFly

Greenie
Sep 26, 2017
Cape Coral
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
If you buy a used Sand Shark, you won't have any warranty. They are only warrantied to the original purchaser. Also, you have to make sure you send in the warranty card to register it or be sure to save the receipt, because they won't take your word for it that you are the original purchaser. They have such a great warranty, that I would only buy a new one, unless you get a used one super cheap.

Thanks for the info Fogg.
Im pretty sure I'm just going to go ahead and get a new one. I don't usually like to purchase others peoples problems!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the info Terry. What do you recommend for a beach scoop?

RTG Monster Aluminum Long Handle. Light and will last forever :skullflag:

OP
OP
U

UnitedFly

Greenie
Sep 26, 2017
Cape Coral
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
I went ahead and ordered the Sand Shark and one of the long handle scoops last night. Hopefully Ill have it early next week so I can give her a shot! I have a handful of beaches I'm going to check out that are boat access only. Pretty high traffic areas often frequented by partiers via boat so there's good chances of finding at least some fresh drops.

Will keep you posted!

OP
OP
U

UnitedFly

Greenie
Sep 26, 2017
Cape Coral
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Shes here! Took her out in the back yard just to play with different settings, and I found an old piece of what looks to be a toy of sorts within the first minute. I then proceeded to get yelled at by the girlfriend for digging holes in the yard.
Off to the beach tomorrow after work to see what shes really made of!

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
how much is a new one? I could use a salt water machine for vacations
let me know when you sell that one

OP
OP
U

UnitedFly

Greenie
Sep 26, 2017
Cape Coral
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Sand Shark with the 8" Coil was $577 + tax. Doubt I'll be selling her any time soon, unless I decide to upgrade sooner than anticipated.

I know there was one on eBay a few days ago.

OP
OP
U

UnitedFly

Greenie
Sep 26, 2017
Cape Coral
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Well, 1st hunt down. Was out for almost two hours at the Sanibel Causeway. Going back on Saturday. Im hooked.

1st Hunt.jpg

SWFLA

Feb 12, 2008
Cape Coral FL
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark,
Whites Duel Field pi
Great job on first hunt with your new detector. I live in the Cape also, we have a lot of little bits of iron on all the beaches around here but dont let that get you down, I use a PI machine and find gold mixed in with the ton of scrape, just keep digging. Good Luck

OP
OP
U

UnitedFly

Greenie
Sep 26, 2017
Cape Coral
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
I hit Bowmans and the Lighthouse this weekend. Ended up with two small silver rings, a handful of clad, 1996 1 pfennig, 2011 Austrian 1 Cent Euro, and a golf ball marker from St. Andrews Links Old Course (Oldest Golf Course in the world - Scotland)
Ill take it!

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
iffn you ain't found gold yet, send it to me. I'll give you $300

OP
OP
U

UnitedFly

Greenie
Sep 26, 2017
Cape Coral
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
iffn you ain't found gold yet, send it to me. I'll give you $300

Ill get it eventually. Hurricane Nate made it difficult to get out in the water with the waves pushing in, and I haven't been able to hit a good low tide yet.
Next week!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread