Saltwater information

gilmerman

Dec 31, 2006
Central South East
Thanks for the wealth of information on saltwater artifact hunting, I received yesterday from forum members, unclemac, outoftime, scepter, tomclark. Wife and I are going to Myrtle Beach, then the down the coast to Savannah. Then up home. I plan to use this info on way down the coast. I don't know about tides so I guess I'll have to just wing it. Just want to thank the four of you again and one last question are most points found in or out of water? You help make this a great forum.

Upvote 0

tomclark

Bronze Member
Dec 18, 2006
Tampa Bay, FL
Detector(s) used
ShadowX2, TEJON, Eyes, Pony Shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
erosion3.jpg erosion4.jpg Most are found in the zone from high to low water. Those two zones concentrate stuff but you find stuff the whole width of a beach. Hit the beach at low tide, walk the waterline first, then zig-zag the width of the beach and finally walk the upper high water mark and even a little further up. It takes me two hours to walk a beach maybe 2 hundred yards and 12=15 ft wide... Take a cane to lean on you will be bending over a million times lolol. If on vacation or have a short time I would only hit places where there are middens on/near shore... Know the laws, too!

Last edited:
OP
OP
gilmerman

gilmerman

Dec 31, 2006
Central South East
Thank you Mr. tomclark this is most helpful, especially, on how to walk the beach. I would have walked straight down the water line and back another line. Zig zag it will be and I will be conscious of laws. Will see if I find a midden and pay attention to high tide line and further on to bank. Man I can hunt again without worrying about falling. I use a cane to walk most every place I go. These pictures are very helpful and I will save them to take with me.

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck on your trip , i hunt tidal river shorelines a lot and there’s not just one “hotspot” as far as area to check if it’s been windy and raining I check up high close to the banks for artifacts that may have just eroded out but I also always check the water line too you gotta play the odds the more spots you check the more likely to find something also I use an app on my phone for the tides there’s quite a few of them out there under your App Store search tide charts I use this one and it’s very accurate and free to download

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1557526168.061000.jpg

scepter1

May 17, 2011
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Myself, I've never found a point in the water (looked, never found one). Water definitely slows me way down, and slight wind and water ripples & reflections distort viewing. And of course the water needs to be clear enough to see through. Smaller waters like creeks & streams would probably be easier. Good Luck & post your finds!

OP
OP
gilmerman

gilmerman

Dec 31, 2006
Central South East
Thanks for the continuing tips and aids. I know they are going to increase my results. I'll try to stay out of the water and get that app.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
remember too....stones sort out by size...also train your eyes to see colors that don't fit the background gravel and shape too....if you can see color and shape at the same time (not as easy as you may think) you are doing fine.

i have the best luck where a small stream cuts across the beach.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread