ScubaDude

Bronze Member
Oct 10, 2006
Coastal, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garret Seahunter MK II, Geometrics 882, Marine Sonic SS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since this topic seems to be of interest to a good number of people I thought it deserved its own thread. I agree with the general thinking that it would be nice to have a collective voice. What is also going to have to be a part of this deal is that who ever signs on is going to have to agree to a code of ethics and standards. Where do ya'll want this to go? My thoughts are that marine salvage is a large enough animal, I don't wish to alienate other THunters, but marine salvage legalities are my foremost concern. I feel the waters would get muddied in a hurry to expand this group to include land based THunting.

Share your thoughts, I'm curious what others want.

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
Here is something that all should consider.
The name SALVAGE should go.
What do you think when you hear SALVAGE YARD. A bunch of junk cars and dirty greasy people working in them.
You have to understand how the public will or accept the word SALVAGE.
Peg Leg

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Good thinking Brad! I would agree that we should stick to marine based treasure hunting...maybe include beachcombers too as they are generally going after the same stuff but not land hunting in general. I'd say make the signiature list open to any treasure hunter who wants to help, but the focus would be the change of marine laws only.

The code of ethics would be a must, and would be an important part of how we are percieved (more so than the name IMO). The word salvage is not a dirty word to the government officials we will be trying to sway. Treasure hunting is a dirty word to them, but salvors do a fair amount of the clean-up of the oceans, in addition to retrieving valuables from the depths, sometimes FOR the govt. officials in question.

I nominate Brad and Grubby to head up the initial formation...all those in favor...say aye! :D

Jason

OP
OP
ScubaDude

ScubaDude

Bronze Member
Oct 10, 2006
Coastal, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got to side with Jason on the name thing. Any mention of the word Treasure to any archeaologist or government type instantly throws up a brick wall. This is not a hobby for me. What we do is marine salvage. Thats what the laws governing it refer to it as. If we wish to be looked upon as professionals and make change, we need to act the part, and present an image that conveys professionalism.

riobravo

Apr 2, 2006
south texas to the east coast
those are good points , but lets not do away with salvors so soon, with the outcome and direction it seem we are talking about, the laws and people, that this group want to effect is directly related to salvage laws, and should not be constrained in numbers by a title of such, done on that scale , would allow a sub committie to address basic treasure hunting concerns.
just thinking feel free to elaborate.................

more info
http://law.freeadvice.com/admiralty_maritime/salvage_and_treasure/

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
If you look at the bigger companies doing this, you will notice that all of them refer to themselves as salvors...not treasure hunters. There are very good reasons for this, and most of them pertain to the marine salvage laws that are quickly impeeding what we all want to do. If you really want to get on the govt. side, we should call it the Marine Archeology Group, or Maritime Historical Society or something along those lines.

The fact remains that the govt. considers it salvage if objects are brought to the surface. Provided that we portray ourselves as preservers of maritime history (and act accordingly), the name salvor would actually be the most appropriate when dealing with agencies who's opinions we are trying to sway. Treasure Hunter is only a favorable term to another treasure hunter, historians, archeologists, and government officials do not condone treasure hunting, but they all generally agree that there is a need for salvors. We need to be able to salvage HISTORY, preserve and document it properly, and let everyone see that we are in it for the adventure and discovery more than the gold and silver. Precious metals should be icing on the cake to help support and pay for our hobby of research, discovery, and adventure.

There's my 2 cents worth...I have a feeling someone is going to offer me change. :D

Jason

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
As a former member of the Conch Coalition, The Treasure Coast Coalition, (and a few other groups whose names now escape me), I would refer you to Taffi Fisher Abt and the IMAC digest (www.imacdigest.com) for some advice about starting a grassroots political organization for treasure divers She may be of some assistance. It wouldn't hurt to talk to her or Pat Clyne.

Tom G

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Ya Tom,
there was also ProSea and ShipRx. They tried to rally the treasure hunters but nothing happened. This was 20 years ago and things have changed. You couldn't get a bunch of treasure divers together like we did last weekend. Maybe it' time now. I'll get a hold of Pat because he is very keen on this.

Cablava

May 24, 2005
You need a differnat name as Salvage Association has been around for a while.

The Salvage Association, was founded in London in 1856, they have been serving the marine insurance industry for 150 years. Operating from a network of offices located in strategic locations worldwide, the team of over 50 staff surveyors comprises marine engineers, master mariners and naval architects, each having a wider industry background.

Sadly for many of the employees, the company got into trouble and they lost their pensions and many their jobs when the company was bought out BMT Group.

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Well,

I think we need a spokes person, someone who is dedicated to the fight. There have been several organizations, but none have had the backing or the power to make changes. The bottom line is your need to raise money and attract voters to your cause.

What we need is a celebrity to come dive a treasure site and see how things work. Then get him to voice his opinion to the public.

Money Talks!

Robert

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Celebrity? I think we should invite Angelina Jolie. (She does her own stunts you know and looks great in a wetsuit)

OP
OP
ScubaDude

ScubaDude

Bronze Member
Oct 10, 2006
Coastal, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It a shame Mickey Roony past away.......

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
If there are organizations out there already, why reinvent the wheel? Which one of those that Tom and Pete have mentioned is the most viable and active? Let's jump in with them and make something happen! One large group of many voices will be much better than a bunch of little groups.

Godspeed!
Darren

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
If I'm not mistaken, the groups that tried and failed mostly ceased to exist about 20 years ago. Is there a current and active group now?

Jason

macblastr

Oct 17, 2006
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
excalibur 1000, 1280x, impulse
MARINE RECOVERY PROFESSIONAL

RECOVERY being a positive word as it applies to the environment.

i agree salvage is a dirty word.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Did you say the 'speedo crowd'?

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
Salvor6,
This is great. This tells it like it really is and tells it in words that can be understood even by me.
I agree 100% with everything that Pat Clyne has to say.
Thanks
Peg Leg

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Grubby, SURELY you didn't think we could just throw out a line and get several hundred people from different locales, backgrounds, personalities and the like without at least discussing a direction and purpose for the group??? These things do NOT happen overnight, however i found the original reply to Pete's question, and it seems there is already a group that we can all support. See below:

______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Letter from Pat Clyne

I know that there are many THer’s out there that are completely disillusioned by the State’s molasses treatment of our permits and the Fed’s confiscation of our legitimate claims. An organization made up of professional Treasure Hunters has always been the best way to combat these governmental infringements. However, before we start re-inventing the wheel I think that all THer’s need to know about our history and how we got to maintain what we still have today.

The Treasure Coast Coalition was successful in keeping a Marine Sanctuary off of the Treasure Coast. After that succeeded the coalition was disbanded.

ProSea succeeded in having the only representatives from the private sector included in the United States delegation in Paris at UNESCO for four years. They were instrumental in the State dept. decision NOT to ratify the treaty. A decision we believe led the way for other nations to see the absurdity of it and follow our lead. (to date, the UNESCO treaty has yet to be ratified by 20 nations to make it official). After that success, ProSea was disbanded. It accomplished what it set out to do.

What many people might not realize is that both those organizations were direct offshoots of an organization that still exists today. HSSPC (Historic Shipwreck Salvage Policy Council). It was through the accomplishments of HSSPC in orchestrating the first private salvage initiative ever allowed in a federal marine sanctuary that proved to the world that a truly organized group of salvors can apply enough political pressure to change policy.

My point is, is that I agree with you and the Treasure Net group wholeheartedly. But let’s not start building from scratch something that is already in place, has a successful track record and the politicians already respect as a viable political force.

The website I’ve listed here is a paper I gave to a Congressional sub-committee on HSSPC’s efforts to include an organization such as it’s own to accompany the delegation in Paris. From that, ProSea was created. Also, as a news agency and political salvage forum IMAC Digest reported the daily briefings directly from UNESCO headquarters in Paris for the entire four years it was in session.

Take some time and read some of what HSSPC and IMAC have accomplished in over ten years of fighting for the rights of the private sector salvage community. I think you might all agree that we already have in place the tools to combat the present political situation- all we need now is the commitment from all of the salvors to jump onboard again. We’ve done it before- We can do it again. Let us know when you’re on board.

http://www.imacdigest.com/protect.html

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread