cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know that some people have adapted the sov. for land hunting, and actually love it for that (and ... yes, especially the beach as you say). But for me, I found it VERY annoying and NOT user friendly on land. The beeeooonngggs are just way to drawn out for me (great characteristic for the beach though, where targets are typically more spread out). I would just pity the poor beginner who gets a sov, and tries to take it into a junky yard, or ruinsy type target riddled area. Pinpointing poor, sounds warbly, etc... I would therefore not classify that as a beginner detector. But yes, some people have actually figured it out for land-hunting. I just couldn't hack it. And that with MASSIVE amounts of hours using the Excalibur (which is essentially the same thing) on the beach. So it wasn't as though I wasn't in it for enough time, or didn't have experience, etc....

The fast response of other detectors just seems much more user friendly for land sites. The explorer, for instance, goes as deep as the sov, yet has the nice fast response one would want on junky land sites. JMHO.
Well sure, I'd take an Explorer or E-trac over the Sov any day but I got the feeling they were a little beyond her price range.

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Call one of the forum sponsors if you do not have someone local. They can answer your questions and give you a great price with free shipping.

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You seem pretty smart to me? Do your own research and read about different features- just like you would on anything else you'd buy.

Kellyco has a really cool comparison section on their site, and if you don't know what something is, (like separate gain and threshold controls?) or what something means (ground balancing?) ask someone here and they'll be happy to help I'm sure! - except me- don't ask me, I'm way too busy to be on here all the time! Lol yeah right!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread