Same photo used by another

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting incident today. Got a message from an eBay member regarding a gold brooch we have listed. Apparently he bought the identical piece from another seller at auction for a fraction of what we are asking and wanted to know if we were selling under another ID. I checked the item number and it's the exact item using our photos. The item is not common, but not so rare that there couldn't be another out there. Anyone run into this before? Buyer seems to think (understand ably) that something dishonest is going on.

Lafitte Deux

Jan 19, 2012
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett's
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would contact Ebay. I believe it is a violation.
At the least, copying your pics for another auction item is misrepresentation.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Someone used one of my pictures once, I reported it to ebay, and they pulled the other seller's ads in about 30 seconds.

I think I called ebay instead of emailing them.

BTW, I tried to copy an ebay picture the other day to post on this forum, and it said that I couldn't copy the picture!

Yard Digger

Dec 20, 2009
Manila, Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101 with Bounty Hunter Headphones and TX-2002 Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would be a good question for ebay staff to answer.:dontknow:

deserdog

May 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some services you use protect pictures from being copied, others don't.

NJcigarman

May 25, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,Whites Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I recently posted on here I had a new seller pirate all my photos and description word for word for one auction.My photos are watermarked with my eBay name. I messaged him and he took the pics down. However he left the description even used the same color. I reported the auction twice and never got a response from eBay and the listing is still up.

vwayne1

Jan 14, 2005
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
I recently posted on here I had a new seller pirate all my photos and description word for word for one auction.My photos are watermarked with my eBay name. I messaged him and he took the pics down. However he left the description even used the same color. I reported the auction twice and never got a response from eBay and the listing is still up.
i don't think copying your description is against the rules. At least I haven't been able to find it. I copy descriptions on about 90% of my auctions. Makes listing very quick and easy. I never use current auctions, only finished ones. And I never copy pictures.

NJcigarman

May 25, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,Whites Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
i don't think copying your description is against the rules. At least I haven't been able to find it. I copy descriptions on about 90% of my auctions. Makes listing very quick and easy. I never use current auctions, only finished ones. And I never copy pictures.

From EBay Support

Here's what we found for "Copying pictures and descriptions" [ Previous ]
You can't use another member's pictures or descriptions without their permission. If another member is using your images or description, let us know.

Read our images and text policy for more information.

Tip: You can watermark your pictures with your user ID details.

danloop

Feb 16, 2014
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Unicorn Treasure Master Pro
Modes:
Dowsing
Pulse Induction
Multi-Frequency
Ground Penetrating Radar
Beat Frequency Oscillation
Aural Target Identification
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I understand about the images. Once in a while I'll look for a deal on Aladdin (kerosene) lamp burners. Idiots sell 10 of them using the same picture. You can't do that for antiques and not expect to get hit with a refund.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll admit I copy descriptions sometimes (on sold items only) to save time but I always add a little to it, as to "make it my own". I have never used someone else's pictures before though. I have used a stock image a time or two on certain new items that I have sold in the past.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread