Sample panning

gold hound

Mar 16, 2014
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Garrett atx, bgt 24" sniper,jobe45, cascade mini high banker, gold buddy vibra-lite colt drywasher, homemade gold vac, keene 140 drywasher
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just kinda curious on how u guys sample pan before u dry wash. Sometimes I'll just take material from top 5", sometimes I'll sample on bedrock if its shallow enough. Areas I work are sometimes hit pretty hard. I've seen posts where the gold was actually better 1st foot or so, than on the actual bedrock. On a side note, I'll be in scottsdale/wickenburg area 10/2/15-10/9/15. Pm me if u r interested in teaming up. Have the keen140 & will probably do some detecting too. Not opposed to traveling from that area. Sometimes end up in Prescott, but don't really like the soil type up there. To much clay. Anyways, I'm anxious to hear your input for sample panning. Thanks

bobw53

Oct 23, 2014
Hatch, New Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm fairly new at this and still trying to figure it out myself... But.. The desert is different than the wet stuff.

Where I've been digging, I'm finding that the gold is literally only in the top 2 inches.. I'd call it more scraping than digging...

I'm kind of glad I live in the desert, Yeah.. Going down to the river and shoveling into a Bazooka might be cool, but the desert
has so many different things going on...

It really takes water to move the gold, and that moves all the other stuff too.. But the water doesn't flow all the time... And where
did it flow 100 years ago, 1000, or a million years ago?? Even 20 million years ago... Layers of false bedrock... How close are you to the source...

All kinds of fun stuff to play with.... And rocks.... And chunks of cemented gravels... And one last thought on the gold sitting on the top... Wind..
Did the wind over time blow off 5 feet of sand and dust and concentrate the gold on the surface???

If you figure it out, let me know.... Until then I'll keep playing around and finding gold in places that conventional wet wisdom says it shouldn't be.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread