San Diego Treasure Enthusiast

UncleDude

Greenie
May 15, 2019
San Diego, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Folks,

Thought I would join the site ahead of my pending decision. For a few years now I've off and on thought of getting into detecting and I figure since my mind keeps going to it, why not finally give it a shot? I used to like playing with the one my grandparents had on the farm. My main interest in doing it is to find coins and jewelry, including gold. I've done a bit of research on detectors and have settled on a few possibilities. I say settled because I can't get a machine that will do it all given I want to keep the costs low-ish for now. Living in San Diego I'd like to be able to do the beaches, even wet sand, as well as dry land but detectors that can do that seem to start around 600. Too much of an investment for someone who isn't sure he'll stick with it or do it very often. I have seen some videos where people use the lower end ones in wet sand and do OK... they admit it's a lot of noise but they stick it out.... and I'm sure I'll try it anyway out of stubbornness and to see how it goes. So right now I'm looking at the BH Tracker IV, BH Land Ranger Pro, and Fisher F22. At first I was going to keep it low, around a 100ish, but I figure I don't mind investing a bit more than that to maybe get a better experience. But if the Tracker IV and similar ones can do enough for someone like me then maybe I'll stay cheaper. But the more I keep looking and thinking of features I'd like (like target ID numbers) the more I keep creeping up in price, like the Minelab X-Terra 505, haha. 350 is probably more than I should go for given I don't know if I'll like it. Thoughts? I imagine I'll start with parks or dry sand on the beach in the early morning somewhere.

My interest doesn't stop at detecting, though. I've been enchanted by treasure since I was very young. An 80s kid, the Indiana Jones trilogy were my favorite movies growing up. I still love them and think they've held up well over the years (mostly because everything was shot on location). And anything about pirates and buried treasure has caught my attention since then. Love to read about stories and watch documentaries about the legends and real finds. It's not all gold and silver coins though (although finding an actual treasure chest full of gold coins would be RAD!), I love gemstones and jewelry, too (and have a small rock/gem collection). Took a short class last year and learned a bit on how to work with metals and make jewelry. Made a sterling silver ring and a pendant from labradorite. Why just find treasure when I can make it, too? Oh and gold panning... I've been wanting to try that for a while, too. I never knew gem hunting could be done on one's own until I came here. I knew of specific places where you could pay to go look for gems like the garnet one in Idaho or Crater of Diamonds State Park. Kinda cool to know you can just go out in open places and hunt (if it's allowed). Been thinking about visiting the Pala mine not too far from here.

Hoping I'll get a new hobby or two out of this and just enjoy the thrill and have some fun. But first to decide if I jump in the water or not. I appreciate all that everyone does here with sharing knowledge and enthusiasm. At the least, my interest in treasure will stay kindled with all the information and finds on here!

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
Welcome Aboard! Take a look at Forum: California for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

HuntH2002

Bronze Member
May 27, 2018
San Antonio, TX
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2015 Bounty Hunter Discovery 1100 // 2015 Bounty Hunter Ultra Mag Sharpshooter // 2019 Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome from The Lone Star State. :wave:

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome!
Jon from s/e Michigan
:occasion14: :headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread