Sanborn maps

strykerstalker

Nov 29, 2005
Anyone use or have no idea what a sanborn map is? I recently aquired access to all 50 states and have been checking them out, ive found about 4 good spots to look forward to in the spring or whenever the weather breaks here in MI. Any ideas as to where i should look? ive been going over them and looking at closed train depots and checking the areas to see if theyve been built up or are untouched.. other then that places like banks and jewlers right next to eachother.. any other places that im not thinking of? let me know any ideas you have, or if you would like a copy of a set of maps. hope this might give some ideas and be of help to someone out there,i know it took me 4-6 weeks to even get ahold of the info i have now but it was well worth it..

Upvote 0
S

Selma Hunter1

I believe the Sanborn series were insurance maps - fire insurance if I recall correctly. They go back to before the 1900's. Neat thing to have handy.

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
sanborn maps are the best when it comes to searching old town sites.......been using them for years.....they show well houses, out houses, everything, building size and placement....i get mine through lewis at utahice.com ...gldhntr

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
do you have any maps of West Yarmouth, Ma? it may be listed under a yarmouth map. I have a house on swan pond and I think i might have found an old homesite :) Thanks for helping us with these maps ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread