Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there a detector that will work well in both sand/turf and underwater? Not that I mind having one for each (my wife though.... >:( ). Currently I use an MXT, and I do like it. But, I can only go into the water up to my knees or so (I'm 6'6"), so it don't get fried. Also on salty wet sand, it screams in my ears. It seems there is no 'one detector that does it all'. I also know of a couple streams/swim holes that I'd like to detect. I don't live near the beach, and mostly hunt old properties. But, the beach is only an hour away. I hate being 3 feet from a potential field of rings and not able to reach it (you know that next treasure is just out of reach/deeper). ;D

Upvote 0

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
excal2 will work good on land or in the water !

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
ron lord said:
excal2 will work good on land or in the water !

DITTO!

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Any PI detector will work in and around saltwater and salt sand with no problem. I use White's Surfmaster PI and White's Surfmaster PI Pro, and both never let me down, and I do find a lot. I find gold too, that's important! I usually work shallow water, but dive with them too. I also work dry and wet sand on the beaches too when its too stormy. They auto ground balance so there is no screaming or whooping like you get with a VLF or TR. They do whoop when you are on your way to the bottom, because they are trying to balance and cant, till you get to the bottom. If you do get a saltwater detector, go with the largest coil Say a 10, 12, 15", and you will go much deeper than the ones with the small coils. Salts are metal compounds, so they make the VLFs and TRs go crazy unless you turn down the sensitivity, then you lose all the good stuff, like gold jewelry, which needs a sensitive detector. BB detectors, Like Minelabs Excal and Sov, are good, Excal is waterproof, Sov is not. They can eliminate iron, and supposedly still be real sensitive. I do know guys that do real well with them. I do know if you have a powerful PI detector, you cant be near another powerful PI detector, maybe 50', because they pick up the other ones pulses. The little weak PIs dont have that problem, but they dont go deep either. Most of them are used for shipwreck detecting while diving, but still they are weak and dont perform as well as a larger coil PI.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would suggest the Excal for land or water. Though I have the AT Pro the verdict is out on it so far with my use. The Pro does have a better pinpoint than my Excal.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread