Sand and Surf Question

Sand Sifter

Mar 13, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok.... This may sound weird to some, but whenever I used to use my old scoop in the sand and surf, I end up trying to balance my detector up against my hip or in front of me so I have both hands free to lift or hold the handle as to look around in the scoop basket. Is there any type of leash that would go around my waist and hook to the arm piece of my detector so I could just let it hang free without it slipping off of me and falling into the drink? I have a new long handle scoop coming in the mail so I thought I would ask.

Upvote 0

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other

As much as I like it I've been smacked fairly good and cut also. But yet to loose a scoop, a arm or leg. There is a eyelet on top of the handle that attach to rope that goes to my wrist. Still have just about the same setup 7 years later.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Attachments

• jones 082.jpg
    jones 082.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 156

1KBlueTuber

Oct 19, 2014
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Minelab excalibur blue tube 1000
Fisher cz-6a, 1265x,
Whites eagle IIsl
The arm cuff strap is enough for me to be able to use both hands left hand holds Scoop and right hand to fish around basket. I use an excal with an Anderson straight shaft but hate his straps so I use a Whites Velcro. Only lasts about a season before I need to replace because of the extra stress on the stitching. Would probably be easy to configure a small bungee with a hook to a Finds pouch belt that you could hook to Detector hand grip while your sifting/lifting with both hands.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can use a chest harness, I have been using one for over 20 years, if I let go of my detector it hangs right by my side coil down controls by my shoulder allowing me to use both hands on scoop.

ROBOTCOP13

Jul 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a Detector Pro harness on my extended excal and just dig one handed with my off hand with my custom assist handle. IMG_1619.JPG

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
For 35 years the arm cuff has been enough to hold the detector while checking for the target.
So I do not loose a scoop I have it tethered with a piece of nylon cord to my 2" belt that also holds my goodie bag.

Attachments

• winter top.jpg
    winter top.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 130

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I made a harness for the detector with 1” wide nylon webbing and some 1/2” surgical rubber tubing. I made it so it would hold up the detector at the right height, same as I would hold it. Just enough webbing to go on left side of my neck, to under my right armpit. Rubber tubing just enough to hold it at just the right height. Tie it to the detector about mid fore arm point. Easy to use, no weight on you, plus you can let it go and it won’t stretch out the earphone cord. For the scoop I carry it tied to the floating sifter or on my shoulder with a cord tether to my belt.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never had an issue losing the detector or the scoop. Detector in the right hand and scoop in the left. I don't let go of either. Out of the water, you can use a sling like the Detecting Buddy. Holds the machine right up next to your side. I hip my machine in the water, so, it's not going to get away even if I drop it. Why do you need two hands to scoop?

GroundBalanced

Aug 4, 2017
WestCoast-FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sand Sifter... so you specifically said " Is there any type of leash that would go around my waist and hook to the arm piece of my detector", so I'll focus on that request. I agree with the others that stated the arm cuff (the velcro cuff that goes in the holes on the top of the U-shaped cuff that sits near your elbow, is what keeps your detector from leaving your body when you let go with your hands. With it set just a little bit loose, you will have the ability to move your arm around and use your detecting hand to dig thru the scoop, and your detector will just be hanging off your elbow.

Someone also asked "why do you need 2 hands for your scoop". I was wondering if maybe Sand Sifter wasn't using a mid-scoop handle of any type to help with the lifting/controlling. Terry & Robotcop13 show 2 types of midscoop handle, and my avatar shows one too. They help a lot.

btw... i do like the idea of those scoop leashes the guys have talked about, just incase the scoop slips out of your hand etc.

SocalJim

Sep 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe a short piece of nylon cord doubled up tied to your detector shaft under the control box and a tool hook or carabiner on your belt might work.

Wiganer

Jan 30, 2017
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Whites dual field beast, with Anderson shaft.
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
For 35 years the arm cuff has been enough to hold the detector while checking for the target.
So I do not loose a scoop I have it tethered with a piece of nylon cord to my 2" belt that also holds my goodie bag.

Looks like your ready for battle, I hope you never get caught short.???

Wiganer

Jan 30, 2017
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Sand sifter
Use a swing buddy or get a strap off a weed wacker or dog leash, get creative I've just made a strap for the same thing for my equinox, cost me $6

ROBOTCOP13

Jul 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sand sifter
Use a swing buddy or get a strap off a weed wacker or dog leash, get creative I've just made a strap for the same thing for my equinox, cost me $6

It might not be a good idea to get used to letting your scoop hang free. In the surf it could whip around and injure you or someone like a kid standing near you. Especially a pointed Stealth or Stavr or T-Rex.

I use a short shoulder strap over my shoulder when wading. It keeps the scoop above my waistline and away from the coil and I can lock my arm down on it in an emergency.

Wiganer

Jan 30, 2017
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
It might not be a good idea to get used to letting your scoop hang free. In the surf it could whip around and injure you or someone like a kid standing near you. Especially a pointed Stealth or Stavr or T-Rex.

I use a short shoulder strap over my shoulder when wading. It keeps the scoop above my waistline and away from the coil and I can lock my arm down on it in an emergency.

He wants something to attach to the detector not the scoop

littlehugger

Nov 23, 2005
I have been checking out accessories lately, and there are a lot of harnesses out there. Trouble is, its hard to tell how they work from the pics or text. Prices are all over the map too.
I had a chest mount for my old Fisher, and loved it. Its right there in front of you for reading and adjustments, but out of the way for digging, and hands free.
Maybe someone can invent an accessory that digs for you?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread