sand question

Anytime you have sand movement is a good idea to detect. However, typically gold and the "good stuff" tends to be heavier and sink. therefore it usually doesn't get swept in with the tide. Not saying it doesn't happen, but your chances are better when sand is getting stripped away

steve

I still consider myself a newbie so take my thinking with a grain of salt.

The only time I really see the ocean bringing anything good on to the beach from the ocean is during a hurricane or maybe a really bad nor-eastern. The storm we had last week stripped a lot of sand off the beaches down here, I have found old coins where I wasn't finding them before, I don't think they were brought in, I think they just lost a lot of the cover they use to have over them. I will be heading back again this weekend.

We were even finding antique poptops :( :( ,that look like the old tops to vianna sausages.

Treasure_Hunter said:
We were even finding antique poptops :( :( ,that look like the old tops to vianna sausages.
Those pull tabs will get you into the sixties which means silver! Every day that goes by more sand is deposited on the beach with the high tide. It may be too late now.

thanks guy for the responses. I was just wondering because it looks like the rocks at boynton beach are covered a lot more than usual, maybe it just pushed all that sand from up north down to here :)

A storm will strip the beach of sand but throw it back up starting on the first high tide. I dont have proof, but it would seem to me that a storm will throw up some treasure. Otherwise it would be useless to search the Treasure Beaches anymore, for instance, because it was stripped severely from two consecutive hurricanes. Sands move around. Look for heavy accumulations of shell and rock. The heavier stuff seems to settle in certain places. It is a study on thixotropics. Stay away from fine wind blown sands, such as in the dunes.

Sand comes in and sand goes out. Sometimes if the waves and current are just right the incoming tide can deposit like weighted items on the beachs in certain spots. You could find a few like weighted rings or coins trapped in the rocks. Even off shore dredging where sand is deposited back on a beach that was damaged by a storm could deposit goodies that were from a wreck off shore.

It just pays to try to be there all the time you can I think. Anyway it beats doing chores around the house. They'll still be there tomorrow waiting for you.

An interesting condition occurred last week while hunting Cocoa beach during the high, 25-30 MPH wind. There was almost no one on the beach, those who tried were getting sand blasted. The wind was moving finer sand and exposing heavier objects on the surface. About 80% of my finds that day were surface finds, including an small pile of change. A high wind can move the sand around just as the water does. The next day waves had overwashed the shore smoothing everything out. This condition is an opportunity which doesn't last very long.

Tek

As stated, dunes are formed from windblown "fines" trapped by vegetation. There simply won't be anything heavy and new up there that can't be blown up there. The steepness of the beach is proportional to the grain size of the beach material. Coarse material creates a steep beach. Fines (like clays) are easily suspended in very slow moving water, while coarse sand is very hard to pick up and move. On a coarse sand beach, the high velocity incoming water carries material in, and drops it when its forward velocity stops. It then partially soaks into the substrate, and slowly returns to the ocean. At low tide you can see it weeping out of the beach..this is usually the hardpan layer, and that's where the goodies should be.

Yes, if you can dig down to a coarse hard packed sand, shell and rock, you will find the goodies. ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back