Sand scoop inquiry

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is a good sand scoop and why are they so expensive?

Supply and demand, price is based on fact sales are limited.

The good news is you pay $200 now and 5 years from now you can sell it all day long for $150 if you take care of it.....

Stealth, T-Rex, Beach Brute II are 3 good ones.

OP
OP
Channon

Channon

Feb 8, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found a couple of rings over the last couple years. I guess I'll sell them and invest in a good scope

OP
OP
Channon

Channon

Feb 8, 2016
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My beaches are rocky. Should I go stainless?

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My beaches are rocky. Should I go stainless?
I KNOW ALOT MORE GUYS BREAKING WELDS ON STAINLESS THAN ON ALUMINUM
stainless I think are tack welded - where most of the aluminum ones are plasma welded
I have a medium stainless that I broke in rocks - my heavy aluminum ones - get nicks and dents
few small bends trying to pry rocks as big as your head - but have never broke a weld yet
its all in what your pocket will allow and what you feel comfortable with - I use an RTG
2 piece travel model with a stainless lip - the 2 piece is just as strong as the one - so if you ever think you may want to take on a plane or a cruise
you may want to get the 2 p
will send you an older article I wrote on scoops - it pretty much says you get what you pay for
but it shows a few of the more popular stainless and alum. models

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I KNOW ALOT MORE GUYS BREAKING WELDS ON STAINLESS THAN ON ALUMINUM
stainless I think are tack welded - where most of the aluminum ones are plasma welded
I have a medium stainless that I broke in rocks - my heavy aluminum ones - get nicks and dents
few small bends trying to pry rocks as big as your head - but have never broke a weld yet
its all in what your pocket will allow and what you feel comfortable with - I use an RTG
2 piece travel model with a stainless lip - the 2 piece is just as strong as the one - so if you ever think you may want to take on a plane or a cruise
you may want to get the 2 p
will send you an older article I wrote on scoops - it pretty much says you get what you pay for
but it shows a few of the more popular stainless and alum. models
I agree on the welds, and another plus is the weight, but, the problem I have with aluminum scoops are many fold, including........they corrode and wear faster, the baskets are too small for me out in the surf, and the blunt leading edge makes it too difficult to push into hard packed sand and almost impossible to push down into a rocky area.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree on the welds, and another plus is the weight, but, the problem I have with aluminum scoops are many fold, including........they corrode and wear faster, the baskets are too small for me out in the surf, and the blunt leading edge makes it too difficult to push into hard packed sand and almost impossible to push down into a rocky area.

that is why I installed a stainless steel lip on my Beach Brute II, easier to push tip of scoop in sand and it stops any cuts or breaks on the aluminum lip..... Beach Brute II is 10" inches wide 6 inches high and 12 inches deep, it's a backhoe...

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that is why I installed a stainless steel lip on my Beach Brute II, easier to push tip of scoop in sand and it stops any cuts or breaks on the aluminum lip..... Beach Brute II is 10" inches wide 6 inches high and 12 inches deep, it's a backhoe...
That does sound like a good setup. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread