Sand Scoop Size Poll

Deep1

Dec 30, 2018
Carolina Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nox 800, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Poor ole wore out Fisher 1266 that still finds stuff.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What width sand scoop do you use for saltwater beaches?
Wet sand/waist deep water.
If you used a different size scoop in the past, why did you change sizes?
Do you wish your current scoop was a different size?
What do you dislike about your brand scoop?
Been beach hunting for over 40 years and never used one.
Always used an E tool for wet sand, but it's got too hard on my back.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I bought a Stealth 920iX = 9"

Hit a water spot, and my hunting buddy was using a 6" aluminum scoop. I let him try out my Stealth before I even tried it myself.

The next day he ordered one just like mine.

Most people recommend a carbon fiber shaft = expensive. I use a wooden hickory post hole digger handle - about 1/5th the price of a carbon fiber shaft. Negative = a wee bit heavy. Positive = cheap and floats upright in the water. I also use a "lift assist" handle attached to the shaft, and I'd tend to call that "essential".

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I have the Stealth 720i And believe it’s 7” wide. As per their website the measurements are: The STEALTH 720i is 6 ” high x 7” wide and now 14” long.
You really can’t go wrong with either model but the 920x for the water and the 720i for the dry stuff to damp sand.

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sunspot 920i, although I travel with an RTG pro6 because the 6 packs so much better.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a re-enforced Stealth 720 with a wooden shaft for rocky areas, a Stealth 920ix with a carbon fiber shaft for most other wet and dry beach hunting locally, and a 2 piece aluminum 6" Kellyco special for air travel. If you get one with an aluminum shaft, paint it or wrap it in tape or you'll get your hands and clothing coated in a black film that doesn't like to wash off.

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Destroyed a Stealth 920iX (about 9x13') in 4 months and sent it in for replacement and Sunspot were willing to replace/upgrade to Stealth Extreme with carbon fiber handle. The pic also shows a 6" RTG aluminum scoop I destroyed (but wired together and still working), but took years to do it in.

Broken scoops inc 6 in RBG.jpg

The Stealth Extreme, similar to 920iX, lasted about 4 months (241 hrs of detecting) as well before collapsing and breaking apart. I sent it in for repair/replacement, but haven't heard from Sunspot about replacement. [Note: Appears Sunspot has moved to sunny California from Michigan and may have changed it's replacement policy guarantee...we'll see and I'll let ya know.]

Stealth Extreme Collapse 2019.jpg

I hunt in heavy sand/clay and rocks usually at low tide in washed-out beaches. I have broken 3-4 wood handles (and would NOT recommend them), including wheel-barrow handles. The thing about the carbon fiber handles is that they will not break and at the same time place a very heavy load on the scoop eventually compromising the scoop basket. I personally would rec a 7" RTG scoop for water hunting and you'll need to paint it so the aluminum doesn't blacken your hands and shoulder (clothing) as noted earlier. The 6" RTG travel scoop is also very good and will last yrs. If you go with a SS scoop basket, I would rec the carbon fiber handle w lift assist, but be aware of the extra stress a carbon fiber handle places on the scoop basket.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I voted 8" but, it is really about how big, strong, and old - YOU are. Pulling a 10" scoop of wet sand, out of a sucking hole in knee-deep water, requires a lot of strength, effort, and wear and tear on the body. Times that by "?" over a five-hour period, and if you're 55+ years old, your shoulder may feel like a truck ran over it while you were asleep the next morning:laughing7:

Now, if you're 6', 180lbs, and 35-years-old, go for that 10" scoop. Your shoulder problems won't really start to bother you until you're 50- or so.:tongue3::skullflag:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread