Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I've used an older White's Surfmaster PI+ happily and successfully for about 3 years.

BUT...I've discovered that it does not even acknowledge my small 14K gold ring of 1.9 grams. It's fine for the tiniest of fish hooks. Not complaining about the larger gold rings I've found.

So Now I've bought a new (used gently) Sand Shark with the plug in coils and the 8" and 3"X18". Both coils will sound off on the 1.9 gram ring and that was my criterion for buying.

Initial tests with the Sand Shark seem to indicate that it's not quite as deep as the White's...but perhaps that will improve with experience.

My favorite setting is the VCO and threshold volume at max and the threshold at close to min. That seems to give me the most "bang" with a find.

Any advice on getting the most depth? And general use and settings? Will much appreciate anything you can tell me. :icon_sunny:

I mostly only do the wet sand and very shallow ankle deep.

Regards, Joe

Adrian SS

Dec 7, 2008
Canberra
Detector(s) used
LST, BDHI,Infinium,Sov XS,6000DI Pro SL,Scorpion,V-SAT,Spectrum XLT,Gold Spear,Scorpion,Sand Shark, Compadre,Sierra Madre,Safari, SDC2300, Sea Hunter,CS4PI,TDI OZ Pro, Vallon VMH3CS. Gardiner 202A
Primary Interest:
HI Joe,

Your comment re the ring depth figure suprises me a bit and I am a whites and tesoro fan.
Maybe check that ring to see if it is cracked because that will kill any signal from a ring.
My Infinium will sound of (air test and 10 x 14 mono) on a 14k 1.92gm ring yellow gold 20mm diam at 12 inches.
9k 1.45gm ring yellow gold 20mm diam at 12 inches
9k 1.4gm ring yellow gold 16mm diam with 3 set stones at 10.5 inches.
Using the 8 inch mono gives very similar results.
I have been thinking of getting a sand shark but am now wondering if I should stick to the Infinium?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Smoogle

Jul 24, 2011
North Coast NSW.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Stavr Krepish II Scoop, Plugger Balanced Shaft.
Primary Interest:
I like to keep the threshold on the minimal side - volume up a bit to match, but I like to be able to clearly hear it because with the SS you get hints even when the coil is not over the target - not like a target sound but this "you have just come close sound" that I can't describe - like an interruption to the norm I guess. Sweep back and often you find a quality target just out of your sweep range. In water anything over a foot or more down is hard yakka cause the hole fills quickly - don't trust scratchty or double signals to be "only trash" as I got a 18 ct goldie some time ago now, and it sounded for all money like a sparkler wire or bobbypin - dig it all + I've also found some green crusty coins sound like this too. You will love it!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like Normal mode for maximum depth Joe, and don't overpower (Max) your Pulse Width. Keep it around 2-230 o'clock. Listen for "negative" breaks in the threshold (theshold goes silent), as these can indicate 18"-20" targets. If it is a real target, moving an inch or two of sand off the top should make the signal "positive" or beep. 50-60 hours on the phones and you'll be sold on the Sand Shark! Good Luck!

DrJoePrime said:
I've used an older White's Surfmaster PI+ happily and successfully for about 3 years.

BUT...I've discovered that it does not even acknowledge my small 14K gold ring of 1.9 grams. It's fine for the tiniest of fish hooks. Not complaining about the larger gold rings I've found.

So Now I've bought a new (used gently) Sand Shark with the plug in coils and the 8" and 3"X18". Both coils will sound off on the 1.9 gram ring and that was my criterion for buying.

Initial tests with the Sand Shark seem to indicate that it's not quite as deep as the White's...but perhaps that will improve with experience.

My favorite setting is the VCO and threshold volume at max and the threshold at close to min. That seems to give me the most "bang" with a find.

Any advice on getting the most depth? And general use and settings? Will much appreciate anything you can tell me. :icon_sunny:

I mostly only do the wet sand and very shallow ankle deep.

Regards, Joe

OP
OP
DrJoePrime

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Thanks for the advice and comments.

I like the 3" X 18" for the huge sweep it makes. Any opinions on if it loses depth..or gains it over the 8"?

From my Google research I'm getting a sense that the pulse delay is about 22usecs..but it actually is more sensitive than the White's PI..so I'm wondering if the White's is actually higher.

I've got a few hours on it and not quite there getting the most depth yet. With my White's it took me a few months before I started listening for and hearing the whisper signals.

HH Joe

cdv1

Jun 29, 2011
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Ah yes....the "you have just come close sound" I like to think of it as a disturbance in the force..... just have to move around a bit to find what was causing it....
Love the Sand Shark.

Cliff

Adrian SS

Dec 7, 2008
Canberra
Detector(s) used
LST, BDHI,Infinium,Sov XS,6000DI Pro SL,Scorpion,V-SAT,Spectrum XLT,Gold Spear,Scorpion,Sand Shark, Compadre,Sierra Madre,Safari, SDC2300, Sea Hunter,CS4PI,TDI OZ Pro, Vallon VMH3CS. Gardiner 202A
Primary Interest:
DrJoePrime said:
Thanks for the advice and comments.

I like the 3" X 18" for the huge sweep it makes. Any opinions on if it loses depth..or gains it over the 8"?

From my Google research I'm getting a sense that the pulse delay is about 22usecs..but it actually is more sensitive than the White's PI..so I'm wondering if the White's is actually higher.

I've got a few hours on it and not quite there getting the most depth yet. With my White's it took me a few months before I started listening for and hearing the whisper signals.

HH Joe

3 x 18 won't get close to the 8 inch but is great for shallow (4 inches or so ) coins and rings and lets you skim over a lot of ground in a short time.

froggy38383

Sep 27, 2005
I also used the normal mode and kept the settings around those recommended by Tesoro, I have done very well with this detector.

rjsupersonic

Aug 5, 2011
Detector(s) used
Sand Shark /10.5 Fisher F75LTD, X-Terra 705 Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the normal mode and really like the 10" coil :icon_pirat:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you will find the Clean Sweep Coil not as deep as the mono, but it is deep enough and it covers the ground as hot down the center for all 18 inches. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread