Sand Shark for gold prospecting?

Hookka

Apr 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett AT GOLD, Minelab Equinox 800, Tesoro Sandshark, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys, thanks for the help on my earlier post. I am wondering if I'll be able to prospect with my shark? I am moving to Australia for a year to live in a van and travel the country with my girlfriend. While I'm there I plan to do a ton of metal detecting and prospecting if possible. I have an AT gold I'm on the fence about bringing. I'm wondering if I could prospect for gold with the shark to save on my limited space? Is mineralization gonna be a problem, or can the shark handle it? I've never used it out of the water so I'm not sure on it's capabilities out on the land.

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
SandShark -can- handle mineralization being a PI detector. It’s really not a gold detector though, unless the nuggets are of a good size. The SS has coils a bit too big for the tiny gold. Also heavier and more awkward to swing for hours, compared to a proper gold detector.

The Lobo ST is Tesoro’s current gold detector. It’s lighter and has coils made for finding the small gold.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I took the Shark to Arizona, testing it. Not good on small gold at all, as it can't be ground balanced. It is a Saltwater machine, not a nuggetshooter.

Attachments

• Phoenix31212 254.jpg
    Phoenix31212 254.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 96
  • Phoenix31212 250.jpg
    Phoenix31212 250.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 93
OP
OP
Hookka

Hookka

Apr 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett AT GOLD, Minelab Equinox 800, Tesoro Sandshark, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the reply Terry. I've learned alot about the shark from your posts. I had a feeling it would be a difficult job for the shark but I was curious with it's ability to pick out a bobby pins from 2ft. No problem though, got the equinox for that now! Just gotta figure out where to ship my sand shark now that tesoro is goin or gone under. I got a quote to get it repaired in the UK and the shipping was already half the cost of the machine, I could probably fix it with some trial and error on the wiring between the battery housing and the main board. I just don't have the patience right now to peel the electrician tape and silicon I went a little overboard with after getting some leaks with my headphone swap.

Pity, that machine is deadly on our cleaner beaches when you know how to use it.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a sincere hope Vince Gifford will contract Tesoro repairs to a US based company. Kellyco, Fort Bedford Detectors, and two other concerns are very interested in setting up repair centers tor the Tesoro brand. With thousands of them in circulation, it makes sense. If I find out anything I'll post it. Good luck with your NOX!

Attachments

• bgt543BSmall.jpg
    bgt543BSmall.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 83
  • ASSOA1.png
    ASSOA1.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 80

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions