Sand Shark headphone question

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Need to address the ambient noise issue. I was in the surf yesterday and between the surf and gusty breeze I couldn't even hear the threshold half of the time. So, I need to address this issue and I'm looking for ideas beyond simply upgrading the headphones to a better setup. Anyone got any possible solutions that will help to address this ambient noise issue?

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Turn up your threshold.

cdv1

Jun 29, 2011
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The usual fixes do help, tape over the drain holes, open the earcups and add foam (closed cell if using underwater), gel ear pads, then you could also do the Peltor mod if you really wanted to go that far. Personally I just went the route of the gel pads without having to alter the headphones anymore, it works for me even though Sandy doesn't get to go out and play as often....
Or as Terry said, adjust the threshold and increase the volume.....but then you will need earplugs when you hit a shallow target!

Cliff

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
BS. Can't remember if that SS of yours is brand new or not. But I've got a spare pair of headphone pads I can send you if that would help. Can't say I have the same issue with my SS. GL

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BS. Can't remember if that SS of yours is brand new or not. But I've got a spare pair of headphone pads I can send you if that would help. Can't say I have the same issue with my SS. GL

Thanks, but mine is brand new. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Turn up your threshold.

Even cranked up there's too much noise when in the surf and it's breezy. However, a reply e-mail from Tesoro has just informed that there are some options. Don't know what those options are yet but I'll let you know when I find out.

No kidding. I was about chest deep in a trough yesterday and between the waves breaking on the bar behind me and the breezy blowing across my headphones I couldn't hear the threshold most of the time even when I had it cranked up. Just nothing inside the earcups to help deaden the outside noise.

Last edited:

DewGuru

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Gulf Coast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are they the blue phones or black ones. I've had blues which were a bit loose on me, higher tone worked ok ...
I later purchased another, which has black phones, super snug and cant be beat.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are they the blue phones or black ones. I've had blues which were a bit loose on me, higher tone worked ok ...
I later purchased another, which has black phones, super snug and cant be beat.

Blue, naturally. :BangHead:
Tesoro isn't going to be any help, by the way. So.......:laughing7:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GGA's but you'll lose the warranty.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Never had that problem with mine. Not trying to be a smart azz, but get a "Debrox" ear cleaning kit at your pharmacy and blow the wax out of your ears. Follow the directions on the box and you will be amazed at how much wax comes out and how much better you can hear.

If that doesn't work, I don't know what to tell you. The headphones are hardwired to the box, so you can't just replace them.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never had that problem with mine. Not trying to be a smart azz, but get a "Debrox" ear cleaning kit at your pharmacy and blow the wax out of your ears. Follow the directions on the box and you will be amazed at how much wax comes out and how much better you can hear.

If that doesn't work, I don't know what to tell you. The headphones are hardwired to the box, so you can't just replace them.

Thanks, but ears are fine. :laughing7: ...........but I am working on another solution....:thumbsup:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never had that problem with mine. Not trying to be a smart azz, but get a "Debrox" ear cleaning kit at your pharmacy and blow the wax out of your ears. Follow the directions on the box and you will be amazed at how much wax comes out and how much better you can hear. If that doesn't work, I don't know what to tell you. The headphones are hardwired to the box, so you can't just replace them.

Except that you can hardwire a better set inside control, but there again you'll lose the lifetime warranty

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
I like the fact that Scoop has a sand shark. Let the disection and modification began

sponge using smoke signals.

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Sponge. Hope he shares his secrets with his fellow SS owners.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My thinking on the headphones is simply this.....you have to keep the noise out. From what I can tell there is absolutely zero insulation in the hard plastic Sand Shark headphone cups. This creates two problems, first the plastic isn't a barrier to the outside noise, and second, once that noise makes contact with the plastic and it enters the headphone cups it becomes something of an amphitheater, actually intensifying the noise. Since Tesoro simply refuses to allow for modifications without voiding the warranty, then my only option on this new unit is to insulate the outside of the hard plastic ear-cups in an effort to restrict the amount of noise that reaches the hard plastic, thus reducing the amount of noise allowed into the amphitheater. If I use the right material I think it will work. I'm thinking something in a hot pink! :laughing7:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Or might I suggest once the weather cools a neoprene cap to cover the plastic cups...

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Or might I suggest once the weather cools a neoprene cap to cover the plastic cups...

Actually, I was thinking neoprene covers/boots for the ear cups? say a 5 or 7 mil? :dontknow:

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
If the wind is getting into your headphones wear a sweatband over them. It will block the wind and hold them tighter against your ear.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
OBN0157.jpg

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang: One of those looks like what Snoopy wore when dog fighting with the Red Barron.
Do you know of any cool googles to go with it for UV protection.
A tinted dive mask might work well, as most likely you will have to keep dipping into the water
to keep your brain housing group from over temping.
QUOTE=OBN;4119174] View attachment 1031641 [/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions