Sand Shark or ???

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just about ready to pull the trigger on a new Tesoro Sand Shark. It will only be used for trips to the beach to hunt the wet sand and surf. Is there any other comparable machines at comparable prices that I should consider? I like the Excalibur II, but the limited use for me doesn't add up to the $1500 price....

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Beach:Fisher CZ-20, Beach Hunter ID 9.5" Whites DFX, Minelab Safari and Excalibur 2.
Park and Turf: Teknetics Gamma 6000,Teknetics Delta 4000,Nokta Fors Core
Loaners:ACE-250 9x12 and 7x9.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just about ready to pull the trigger on a new Tesoro Sand Shark. It will only be used for trips to the beach to hunt the wet sand and surf. Is there any other comparable machines at comparable prices that I should consider? I like the Excalibur II, but the limited use for me doesn't add up to the $1500 price....

Short of used, no other detector offers the price performance of the sand shark especially in PI. It will find a nickel down to 10-12" with the 10" coil in most beaches, in soaking wet salty sand. My CZ-20 will hit a quarter at that depth but not a nickel in AT, Sens 8-9, boost 9 with the 8" coil. I think for once a year visits you should be digging most targets anyway and listen to that double tap sound it gives when you pick up nails on their sides and bobby pins. My beaches are a bit dirty and i hunt the beach once a week so i need discrimination, found a cz-20 for $500 in great shape I don't think you'll go wrong with a Sand Shark or a used CZ-20/21 machine. The Excal even used is pretty expensive. And no single frequency machine, even when quiet or stable will go deep in salt water compared to multi-frequency and PI. Depth is very important in the salt water beaches !

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only one close is the dual field. I bought one nib for $650 that a person had bought for a backup to excal on a vacation. The vacation was canceled and he never even assembled it. Whites 2 year warranty is transferable also. I see Dually's for sale with plenty of warranty left after buyers decide Pi detecting "ain't easy"! I agree with SFLdigger except that you should hit coins and ring sized targets much deeper than 10". I've dug many coins at 12-18"with the DF and the shark will too especially in "normal" mode.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DiggerinVA

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What about the Garrett Infinium? I have seen those used in my price range...how do they compare to the sand shark and DF?

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't used the "Finny". I hunted with a guy at div last year that loves his. He ran it chest mounted with a small 8" coil. I've heard learnig the infininium takes a little time, and most seem to love them or hate them.

I think for the money you can't go wrong with the Shark. It's so easy to operate, very deep seeking and tough as a boat anchor. I would be sure to have a good big scoop like the Stealth. You'll be digging deep holes continuously.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread