Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Excalibur 800
Minelab SD2200
Minelab E-Trac
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am wanting another metal detector and I want it for beach detecting, in the water. I have an E-Trac that works great in the wet and dry sand but I dont have anything for the serf. I wanted an Excal II but I dont get to the beach enough to justify the cost to my wife. The Sand Shark sounds good, BUT I would like to know if it will work in my lakes and rivers.
My lakes and rivers have a lot of mineralization. Layers of black sand. Will this PI work here. My Minelab sd2200 doesnt mind the heavy min. I am used to digging lots of deep holes for nothing.:laughing7:
Thanks

Upvote 0

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might be best to look at a P.I. that will allow coil changes (I also like a user adjustable SAT control to deal with black sand without cutting depth on gold, frequency change to d/w EMI and a ground balance in case you want to work land or some difficult water sites).

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've heard that the tiger shark is better in fresh water and the sand shark is a salt water machine and for the price of both you could buy an excal, good in both.:icon_thumleft:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am wanting another metal detector and I want it for beach detecting, in the water. I have an E-Trac that works great in the wet and dry sand but I dont have anything for the serf. I wanted an Excal II but I dont get to the beach enough to justify the cost to my wife. The Sand Shark sounds good, BUT I would like to know if it will work in my lakes and rivers.
My lakes and rivers have a lot of mineralization. Layers of black sand. Will this PI work here. My Minelab sd2200 doesnt mind the heavy min. I am used to digging lots of deep holes for nothing.:laughing7:
Thanks

Will work just fine in fresh or saltwater, and cut through heavy mineralization and black sand like its not there. Get the 8" coil for water work, plenty of depth, sensitive to smaller targets and cuts through the water easily. Good Luck!

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've heard that the tiger shark is better in fresh water and the sand shark is a salt water machine and for the price of both you could buy an excal, good in both.:icon_thumleft:
The sand shark work very well in Fresh and salt water. In fresh water I can find very small Gold ( BB size ) in salt water I find small post ear rings all Day long.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread