SandShark on nuggets

RustyNail

Greenie
Sep 26, 2004
(I posted the following on the Underwater section of this forum but didn't get any responses. Perhaps you kind folks in this section of our forums will know the answer.)

Has anyone tried using a Tesoro SandShark (normally considered a beach/surf detector, technology=PI) to look for nuggets where traditionally one would use something like a Tesoro Lobo? I know that PIs are supposed to handle mineralized conditions well but I've heard conflicting field reports on how well they actually hold up. I'm thinking about making a trip up to the gold-bearing rivers in central California (e.g., American River, Iowa Hills, Colfax, Placerville, etc.). Has anyone actually used a surf detector up there? What were the results? Tips?

PS I know that this might be posted on a forum more dedicated to prospecting but since this forum knows the characteristics of underwater detectors like the SandShark better, I want to get thoughts from folks who may actually have used the SandShark or a similar model for nugget shooting, specifically in the kind of mineralization found in central California.

THANKS.

Upvote 0

Willy

Supposedly a few problems

associated with using the Sandshark & other non-groundbalancing machines when in areas of changing (high) mineralization. Some areas you can get away with it, others not. A good place to find out about PI's for nugget hunting is on Eric Foster's PI forum. Do a search using "Sandshark" & you'll get some hits. I think Lanny from Alberta was/is using one. ..Willy.

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hello rustynail - I can't speak for "prospecting" with the Sand Shark. But for detecting in highly mineralized salt areas with it, I found twist ties and a staple (yes, it took me forever to isolate the staple). I can't imagine it wouldn't find small gold as well. I agree with Willy about taking the chance on mineralization. I hope you get an answer from Lanny - I'd be curious to know myself.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes it'll work quite well as a matter of fact.Tom's forum has covered this subject on numerous ocassisions.Sure some detectors are better but many much worse.No one has really made a dedicated underwater nugget hunter,but that tesoro unit is about as close as it gets with small nugget sensitivity and adaptability in heavier mineralization.Tons a au 2 u 2-John

Willy

The Garrett Infinium

It's a true prospecting detector that is waterproof to 200'. Check out the AMDS website prospecting forum for more info about it re. nuggetshooting. I was prospecting & relic hunting with a guy who swung an Infinium & with a couple of guys that used Minelab sd2200D's & was so inpressed with the Garrett that I ordered one. It should arrive any time now. Right now, the Infinium is the only challenger to the ascendency of the Minelab PI's (though the Goldquest might be nipping at the heels also). There are a number of forums that really focus on nuggetshooting with a PI and, unfortunately, machines like the sandshark, Surf PI pro, Fisher Impulse, while fine for beach hunting.. just don't cut it when searching in highly mineralized & changeable ground. One thing to remember is that, despite claims to the contrary, a PI WILL react to some ground, sometimes to the point of being unuseable. That's why the prospecting PI's (Infinium, Minelabs) have ground tracking. ...Willy.? ?

C

Charles,Oak Island

This sounds good cause my Tesoro Piranha is the fore runner of the SandShark. I wanted to try it in some of the NC rivers where gold has been found.

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Willy, I'm confused by your post. You open by saying "It's a true prospecting detector," but then later say that it "just don't cut it when searching in highly mineralized & changeable ground." Which detector are you refering to in your opening statement? The Sand Shark or the Infinium? The original post is about the SS. Thanks in advance for clarifying for me.

Willy

I was referring to the Infinium & then, half way down, switched over to the sandshark & non-tracking detectors. Kinda got distracted 'tween the title & the body of the message. My typing style is head-down single finger typing. About 20+ minutes per response. Afterwards I'm in a kind of mental fog..Willy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread