Santa Marguerita Lead Bale Seals of Dutch Origin

Dec 16, 2006
San Francisco
Santa Margarita Lead Bale Seal
Artifact 49987

I would like to take up a brief discussion of the lead bale seal artifacts discussed so lucidly by Ms. Carol Tadesco in a research piece she wrote and submitted to the Imac Digest (http://www.imacdigest.com/bale.html). Here is a quick summary of her observations on the historic significance of the presence of this type of object among the artifact assemblage of the Santa Margarita:

The presence of a Haarlem, Netherlands seal on the Santa Margarita shipwreck is particularly interesting because of the complex historic relationship that existed between the Netherlands and Spain in 1622. By 1519, the Netherlands [was] under the rule of Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor, and King of Spain. Charles was of the Spanish branch of the house of Habsburg. Later, he resigned Spain and the Netherlands to his Spanish born son, Philip II. Philip's oppressive rule led to the Dutch waging a long war for independence from Spain. Eventually, Haarlem was liberated from Spain and the city was incorporated into the Dutch Republic of the United Provinces, which consisted of the Low Countries Northern Provinces. The Southern Provinces remained loyal to Spain. (Carol Tadesco, Santa Margarita Lead Bale Seal Artifact 49987. See link above for cited passage. Hereafter cited as C. Tadesco, LBS Artifact 49987)

By probing the nature of the Dutch trading position in Europe during the VXII century, it may be possible to build on Ms. Tadesco’s research and narrow the possible significance of the lead seals found on both the Santa Margarita and the Ecuadorian wrecks to evidence of something more specific and, therefore, useful for analysis of wrecks from this period. Ms. Tadesco makes the following general comments with regard to lead seals and their use within the mercantile communities of Europe:

Lead seals such as cloth seals and bale seals were widely used in Europe between the 13th and 19th centuries as a means of identification and as a component of regulation and quality control. Cloth seals appear to be the most thoroughly documented type of seal. Cloth seals were typically two disc seals joined by a connecting strip. These were intended to be folded around each side of a textile and stamped closed, in a manner similar to that in which coins were stamped. (C. Tadesco, LBS Artifact 49987)

To expand on these comments, it should also be kept in mind that the action of affixing these seals to commodities earmarked for loading and shipment aboard a vessel was the end result of a very important profession practiced in the great port cities of the world during the age of sail, that of the Bracker.

In many of the Baltic ports servicing Dutch and Hanseatic trade, bracking practices were rigidly defined. Bracking refers to the official separation and grading of different types of goods according to their quality. Often a Baltic port would compete to outdo other rival ports with the accuracy of its bracking and official brackers. Alfred Crosby, one of the few authors whose research touches on this subject, writes about bracking with respect to 19th century Russian trade and specifically ties the use of the lead bale seal to the bracking flax cloth:

One of the features most attractive to traders about St. Petersburg and the other Russian ports was bracking. Bracking was the official inspections and sorting into different grades of the goods for export. To be noted for honest and efficient bracking was a great advantage to a port. As each bracker inspected and graded merchandise, he guaranteed his honesty and judgment by affixing his name to the inspected articles: the casks of tallow or oil by stamping. the flax by a lead tally attached with a string, the hemp by a wooden tally placed inside the bale. Thus, if a bracker let some inferior merchandize slip by or rated some as of higher quality than it truly was, he could be brought to answer. If the charges against him were proven, he would be liable to severe punishment. (Alfred W. Crosby. America, Russia, Hemp, and Napoleon (Ohio State University Press, 1965) p. 30.)

Note that the use of wooden and lead seal material is clearly differentiated by product type, i.e. wooden seals for hemp and lead seals for flax. Such differentiation would make it easier to inventory cargo below decks were light is minimal and at a premium.
I have not been able to trace this practice of assigning lead seals to flax bales specifically back before the 1790s outside of Russian Baltic ports. I would like to ask the TreasureNet community if anyone has enough experience in the Dutch archives to shed any additional light on the Dutch practice of bracking. Some additional questions I would pose: how early is the assignment of lead bale seals to flax and can this practice be traced to the Dutch? Was this only a Russian practice in the Baltic or did the Russians adopt the practice from the Dutch?

The question is of some interest to those researchers and treasure hunters seeking vessels built and outfitted at the expense of the Habsburg Crown to sail in the Tierra Firme fleets. Very likely, these important vessels carried extra suits of sails and bales of the finest flax with which to repair and replace sail suites. Therefore, narrowing down some of the questions surrounding the presence of lead bale seals of Dutch origin on Spanish vessels of the 17th century could serve as an archaeological indicator of a vessel outfitted at great expense with the latest and best sail technology.

Best Regards,

Ursula Utrecht

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I think Madonna would get more accurate answers to her questions if she posted them on a listserv such as subarch where there is an entire community of (usually respectful) marine archaeologists, maritime history experts and yes, even knowledgeable treasure hunters.

OP
OP
M
Dec 16, 2006
San Francisco
Hello Treasure Hunters,

I am more of a research oriented person than a treasure hunter and work a great deal with the translation of documents; however, I am not fortunate enough to possess a command of Dutch. During the course of my studies, it is becoming very clear that Dutch archives hold a great deal of information that could be of use to historians, maritime archaeologists, and treasure hunters. I believe that there are a great many of you out there in this forum who possess very solid and practical experience searching for artifacts. My father, an archaeologist, often told me that many of the great scientific advances credited to scientists were actually directly related to the work of technical experts, master-craftsmen, and engineers who often perfected techniques that allowed the formulation of great principles and discoveries. This being the case, there is a fair possibility that there is a member who has some technical experience or specialized knowledge of the Dutch United Provinces and their maritime operations and practices during the age of sail and this individual(s). May yet shed some light on my question. After all, the subject at hand does deal with Habsburg Tierra Firme fleet operations so I am sure there is some chance that the discussion may turn to a subject related to Spanish sail-making, rigging, or general sailing practices.

I have read some very in-depth discussions of some unusually technical points in this very forum, the discussion on the Notre Dame de Deliverance for example, and while I do not expect anyone to have an instant answer to the questions posed in this post, I am absolutely certain that many of you who may think you know little regarding this subject actually know a great deal about where one might begin to look to find an answer. I would of course like to thank Ole.Grubsteak for the Historyhunter suggestion. Allow me to thank Cornelius and others for your comments. I, of course will continue my own search - this is one topic among many. These bale seals are a very small and mundane part of the picture of maritime trade during the age of sail; however, understanding even these small details can hopefully lead to a better understanding of maritime history and associated wreck sites. At least this is my belief.

Best Regards,

Ursula Utrecht

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ursula, my apologizes for the recent hijacking of your thread. The problems have been removed from TreasureNet.

Tom

OP
OP
M
Dec 16, 2006
San Francisco
Hello Wreckdiver1715,

Nice to hear from you. It is not clear to me what the fuss seemed to be about. Clearly my question intruded into an existing situation of which I am unaware. Nevertheless, I think the Shipwrecks area of this forum is an appropriate place for this kind of post.

Gdaddyflex and SWR, thank you both for your suggestions. Gdaddyflex, I will take a look at the Subarch listserv.

I did make two attempts to contact the Dutch archaeologists mentioned in Ms. Tadesco's article last December, however, I have not received a response from them to date. Flax and hemp used in sail-making and rigging were a strategic commodity in the age of sail, as most of you already know, so I continue to be interested in any metallic object that might survive and record some information related to this parishable material. Because these bale seals are of lead, I presume that they might show up during the course of a wreck site survey. Accordingly, trying to increase the knowledge base around these lead seals should be of interest to the treasure hunting community.

Perhaps someone knows something about the origin of the word Bracken? There appears to be a Dutch verb: braaken, whose etymology I would like to know. In 19th century English dictionaries, to brack is related to break or crack something open. This could be related to the action of a Bracker who inspects cargo by cracking open the lid of a container, but this is only a surmise.

Best Regards,

Ursula Utrecht

SimonLakeSub

Dec 6, 2006
Many artifacts including lead seals of 18th century English origin were recovered in the early 1980s, As a result of large scale building activity in lower Manhattan. My publication "New York City's Buried Past" A Guide To Excavated New York City's Revolutionary War Artifacts 1776-1783 I included a small section on lead seals.
1-John Thwaite (reverse)- XXX 17
2-Leid John in the center a sailing vessel (reverse)- 8085 1171
3-T.S. (reverse)- 3
4-1784 Reglee ( French ) (reverse)- crown
5-177 del vinco (reverse)- con- tolle de drs
6-L inside a heart (reverse)- blank

All seals recovered were lead.... And many were worn and in some cases broken

I hope this information is usefull in the study on 18th century Lead Seals...

Regards Simon

OP
OP
M
Dec 16, 2006
San Francisco
Simonlakesub and TR

Simonlakesub - thank you for the reference associated with your book; I intend to read it in detail.

TR - Thank you for this marvelous resource. I did not consider the Vatican Library as a source for lead seal collections, but I makes obvious sense once pointed out. Clearly the use of seals was a principal technique for controlling both the accuracy and accountability of commodity and money shipments aboard vessels.

Once I have absorbed more of the information that you have both provided, perhaps I will post an expanded treatment on the topic if it is of interest.

I look forward to further insights from the Treasure Net Community.

Best Regards and Warm Wishes,

Ursula Utrecht

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread