Sapphire hunting - how to?

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I hope someone with more knowledge about Sapphire hunting in Montana will post some info! However, I have heard that there are some rivers and even streams in Montana loaded with Sapphires. If you can get info on some specific rivers and streams where Gem prospecting/hunting is allowed, then you should dig and sift (classify) everything on the river or stream bottom down for several feet of more as Sapphires have a very high specific gravity, meaning the are much heavier than other rocks, stones and Gems you may find. Also, check washouts on the river and stream banks where some Sapphires may have been eroded out and ready to fall into the water.

Good luck! Watch out for the snakes and the Bears.

Frank

Upvote 0

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The specific gravity of sapphire is about 4. Most precious gems are from 3-4. Sapphire is a bit heavier, but not much. Typical river gravel in the west is about 2.5, so sapphire is about 50% heavier.....which again, is not much. You can pan for them, but need to take more care than panning for gold, or you will lose a lot of the ones you dig. Jigging works well, and may be the best method. Or, do a Google search for "sarucca", or "saruca"...I've seen it spelled both ways. That's what is used by many artisinal miners, and works pretty good.
Don't pass up the garnets, and other gems you find with the sapphires.
Jim

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think Jim gave some excellent advice!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

Dr. Meh

Oct 15, 2013
Thanks, guys! I'd imagine it takes a sharp, trained eye to best spot them in a pan or via sifting. Hopefully I won't pass up on too many of them without realizing it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

Dr. Meh

Oct 15, 2013
Any specific areas I should search? With gold, you have in front of large boulders and on the inside turn of streams and rivers. Same deal with sapphire because they are slightly heavier than most other stones or is the weight difference irrelevant so any spot is good?

Upvote 0

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Or you can do like I do--just stumble on to them from time to time.I have a spot where about half the time I work it, I'll get ! or 2. I use a batea to take things down to black sands rapidly And keep my eyes open. They will stay in the black sands but the SG is very close.G/L

Upvote 0

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks, guys! I'd imagine it takes a sharp, trained eye to best spot them in a pan or via sifting. Hopefully I won't pass up on too many of them without realizing it.
You'll see them plain enough...just look for anything that light shines through. I've never had a problem spotting gemstones. If you have a problem, try getting a clear plastic plate, and put your cons from the pan, or screen, on the plate, and shine a flashlight up from under the plate. The gems will show the light right through, especially of you throw a coat over you to dim the sunshine.
Garnet22.jpg
Jim

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Something else to keep in mind....Whether you're panning, or screening, you should classify the material to at least two sizes. try to keep the smallest rock in a size no more than 1/2 the diameter of the larger rocks in that size range. For my jig, I usually classify one range at +#8 up to -#4. That means the smallest fraction will NOT go through a #8 screen, and the largest WILL go through a #4 screen. the next size range is + #4 to - #2. So I roughly have 1/8" to 1/4" in one group, and 1/4" to 1/2" in the next. In the rare chance you find a monster, just visually inspect the stuff that's larger than 1/2" before you toss it aside.
Jim

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

Dr. Meh

Oct 15, 2013
Thanks, Jim. I'm glad to see you're in Idaho and have so much luck. I'm heading to Stevensville which is pretty close to the Idaho border. Seems like I'll be in a good area to hunt.

Upvote 0

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You may want to try one of these places:

Gem Mountain Sapphire Mine
Philipsburg, Mt
1 (866) 459-4367
Open 2 days a week 9am-6pm
gemmountainmt.com

Spokane Bar Sapphire Mine
East Helena, Mt
1- (877) DigGems toll free

Upvote 0

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks, Jim. I'm glad to see you're in Idaho and have so much luck. I'm heading to Stevensville which is pretty close to the Idaho border. Seems like I'll be in a good area to hunt.
LOL...I know Stevensville. I graduated from high school at Darby, in 1966. We played Stevensville in 8-man football that year. My parents had a ranch at Charlos Heights, between Darby and Hamilton. Sure hope you post your finds....I'll be looking forward to seeing them. I have no idea what you may find in the Bitterroot drainage.
Jim

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

Dr. Meh

Oct 15, 2013
Well, heading home tomorrow. I was out here visiting my brother and it turns out he has no desire to hunt for gold or sapphires. Managed to talk him into about an hour of searching while we were fishing and rafting. We didn't find anything and he got mad that the mosquitoes were eating him up. A little disappointed that we didn't get a chance to search more but it was still a fun trip. Back to gold and platinum prospecting in California for me.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread