Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been out hunting a couple of times over the past week and just couldn't seem to find anything interesting enough to make a post. Lisa and I went to the old park last week and got a purdy good bullet and a trigger! :D Found the key and the change there too. Then yesterday was just too nice not to go out for a couple of hours, so we went back over to where the old cemetery is to look around a bit. Got the nice round bullet and what looks like some sort of rock that might was going to be an arrow? ??? and the usual farm stuff.
100_6805.jpg

Then today was just perfect so around noon we let out for the old Dr's house. This is the same site that I went to last year and found nothing but parts of relics. :-X Today we went with a plan to find another structure that shows up on the 1892 map.

100_6795.jpg

We searched for a couple of hours without finding anything worth mentioning. Headed down to the old house and began searching there. Still the same ole same ole...the place with all the poison ivy and rattlesnakes..... except......the rock wall that surrounded the house was gone!
100_6803.jpg

I got to thinking about all the stuff that could have fallen in behind the rocks over the years, so I started detecting there. Got a good signal, bent down to dig yet another something-or-other. While I was bent over digging I had spotted the tip of a bottle sticking out of the side of the bank. Started diggin it out and it's not broken!!!! ;D I was so happy! Hollered for Lisa to come and help me dig and found another one!!!!
100_6801.jpg

100_6799.jpg

Only two found today along with lots and lots of broken pottery, but you know we're gonna go back with a shovel!!!! ;D
100_6809.jpg

The bottles are Ayer's Sarsaparilla and Dr. Kilmer's Swamp Root.
100_6812.jpg

100_6821.jpg

Now.....how do I get the stains out of the inside of them? :-\

Nana :)

Upvote 0

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Charlene

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
SE, Virginia
Detector(s) used
MineLab Excal II & Bounty Hunter Land Star
WoooHOOoo Nana!!! wonderful hunt that produced some lovely treasures for you, congrats. Last time I was out I ran into some sassafras growing, cut a couple of roots stuck them in my pocket. Later that afternoon my son's girlfriend kept walking by me saying she smelled something sweet.. all this time I've been spending big bucks on perfume when a sassafras root will do. :-\

The scenery is beautiful Nana, thanks for sharing the pictures. Keep up the good work, the ladies are in the swing!

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SLII and the E series DFX and the Minelab ExplorerII
Excellent bottles Nana.

I'd be curious to know what they're worth. They will make a beautiful display.

Congratulations.

Ridley

ghostrider1775

Dec 8, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500 GTI/ Grand Master Hunter CX3
Nice digs NANA!!!, a little bleach and water and let it soke for a day has helped me clean my old bottles. Good Luck ;D

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nana,
What a great post. I love those bottles! Thanks for the pictures. I remember as a kid going to get a Sarsaparilla at an old time ice cream shop in town. He would mix the syrup with the carbonated water. Great times.
As far as cleaning the bottles, I had great success on mine with putting a handful of aquarium gravel , a squirt of dish soap, and some water inside. Just keep shaking it, turning it, and shaking some more. The whole inside should come clean. I attached the before and after of the early 1900 bottle I found.
Good luck and CONGRATS on such a cool find.
-MM-

Attachments

• dirty bottle.jpg
    dirty bottle.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 1,116
  • cleaned bottle.jpg
    cleaned bottle.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 1,112
  • dirty bottle.jpg
    dirty bottle.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 1,113
  • cleaned bottle.jpg
    cleaned bottle.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 1,116

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Thats a great find Nana and I love the spot you are digging....But I would be dragging those daffodil bulbs home also.
I bought some denture cleaner tablets from the dollar store and crumble them into the water filled bottle and let set over night and they take all stains out including rust .

patpall22

Jul 4, 2006
Carmel ca/ Big Sur ca
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, whites DFX, XP DEUS, etrac and sandshark
Thats a beautiful bottle. love the rainbow patina. I have been hunting bottles since I was in fourth grade and a bottle like yours would be one of my favorits. I know you allready did a great job cleaning it, but I agree with stoney that using rice, or better yet copper BB,s with a little oxyclean to clean them nice. I love your pics of the old field, makes me wish I was there now.

OP
OP
Nana40

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:-X @#%%^J(%@ !!!!!!!! :-X

OK ya'll. I have tried cleaning these bottles with: clorox and water....CLR....BB's and dish soap/water....denture tablets.......poked tiny little pieces of cloth on the end of a coat hanger round and a round....I have one more option. Brillo pad. Have to visit the market and get one.
My arms are tired and the bottles still have stains, but by golly they smell really nice! :D

Thanks for all the suggestions and links!

Happy Valentine's Day!!

Nana :-*

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions