Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Took my kayak out for a quick hunt along the riverside this afternoon. Have not hunted for about a month. Scored my first seated silver since early January as well as a couple toasted large cents. Found a ton of large cents at my farm field in March but not one seated so Im happy with the result

Attachments

• AEAF33D8-CF7F-4479-B06F-AC5F19428CF8.jpeg
    AEAF33D8-CF7F-4479-B06F-AC5F19428CF8.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 126
  • B8277D29-EB10-4990-8B06-615967330DFF.jpeg
    B8277D29-EB10-4990-8B06-615967330DFF.jpeg
    901.8 KB · Views: 96
Upvote 44

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Nicely done! Just curious, is the water there brackish? That looks more like the silvers I’ve found in salt water then fresh water. Way to go!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice, good luck with the river hunts

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Any silver find is a good find, but finding a Seated, is a great silver find! :thumbsup:

Dave

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds toasted!

At one time the large penny was very popular as eyelid weights for burials. Main street in my town was built across an old cemetery that the wooden markers had long since rotted away. A friend had purchased the town's first movie theatre (Vaudeville and Silent Movie Period) and was crawling around underneath to do some plumbing repairs. As he crawled along in the dry dust his hand struck an object. When he looked there were two large pennies about two inches apart. Presumably when the lot was prepared for construction it leveled off just above the burial. He was pretty creeped out for a while!

Best wishes!

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
All Seateds welcome, always! congrats

OP
OP
toasted

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nicely done! Just curious, is the water there brackish? That looks more like the silvers I’ve found in salt water then fresh water. Way to go!

Its slightly brackish. Coppers are usually wasted but not always and the conditions of the silvers vary widely but they almost always have a black film on them that can be difficult to remove without damaging them. I did clean it up a little more

Attachments

• C5D38043-DCFC-4B61-B99E-8040A2DF51DB.jpeg
    C5D38043-DCFC-4B61-B99E-8040A2DF51DB.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 56
Last edited:

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Its slightly brackish. Coppers are usually wasted but not always and the conditions of the silvers vary widely but they almost always have a black film on them that can be difficult to remove without damaging them. I did clean it up a little more

Looking good. Nice find!

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds toasted!

At one time the large penny was very popular as eyelid weights for burials. Main street in my town was built across an old cemetery that the wooden markers had long since rotted away. A friend had purchased the town's first movie theatre (Vaudeville and Silent Movie Period) and was crawling around underneath to do some plumbing repairs. As he crawled along in the dry dust his hand struck an object. When he looked there were two large pennies about two inches apart. Presumably when the lot was prepared for construction it leveled off just above the burial. He was pretty creeped out for a while!

Best wishes!

Having just read this Phil, now I'm too scared to go down into my basement alone... thanks buddy! :laughing7:

Dave

OP
OP
toasted

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds toasted!

Best wishes!

Well, I can recall at least one burial around here from the mid 19th century that had partially washed out of the bank and was discovered by some beach goers recently. My two largies were found in different areas though lol

DigToChina

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2016
GTA East, Ontario
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Fisher F2, ProPointer AT
Nice finds toasted!

Best wishes!

I’ve seen that movie!

IMG_7525.gif

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Toasted, it seems that someone had lost their cents, but you found them. Congrats to you on the find of the seated and the large cents. Well Done.

tomhighland

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2015
In MI woods
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the finds. I have a kayak in my arsenal too. The rivers were the original highways after all! I keep hoping for something from the fur trade era.

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool saves:icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread