Saturday update - lots to report - some firsts, seconds, bests, oldests, ever

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Spent all Saturday hunting coins and did a lot of volume (for me) and overall did pretty good.

Found a '62 Ben in a teller tray which is only my 2nd Ben ever (found the last one in Missouri last week), by 2nd Ben in a row, and my oldest Ben ever.

Found some CWR's that were all marked "71 Kennedy's", "77 Kennedy's", "Bi-centennials", things like that. My 5-year old was opening a roll of bi-centential's when he says "they all have castles on the back except this one from 1968". It's the first silver he's found on his own.

I stopped by a bank and asked for halves "sure we have $1,000 worth, there's a guy who hunts them and brings them here when he's done, how many do you want?" Crap, well really I don't want any but since I asked I guess I'll take some so I don't make a complete clown of myself. "great, I'll take $100 worth". Teller goes into the back room and comes back with 10 unopened MWR's. So we decide that I should take them all. There's $500 in a fresh box and $500 in rerolled dumps. The dumps were a skunk, the fresh box produced 4 - 40% which is my best box ever, sporting 4 more silvers than I've ever found in a box before. I'm stoked.

I also bought a box of pennies somewhere along the way. The box produced 10 wheaties. Doesn't seem like too good of an average. Any thoughts from those who hunt them more often, is this an average box or a bad box? I doubt it's a good box. I'll tell you what though, the wife and kids really enjoy hunting them.

One great find from the penny box, found another proof, this time a 2000-S in really nice shape. Found a 2009-S a couple of months ago.

Also found one back that I'm not a member of where the teller offered to buy me boxes of halves if I'd like. I'm going to get an account this week and call her back and take her up on the offer. I need to find an additional dump bank as well. My volume is creeping up and I need to figure out another home for these fine clad rejects.

Thanks for reading.

Happy hunting.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
I forgot one of the coolest parts of the day. After hunting with the 7 year old all day we stopped to get some food. Headed by the coinstar and he pulls a '40 merc out of the tray. Our 3rd silver dime from the coinstar this year, but the first mercury. I would to have loved to have seen what ever else was put through that machine earlier in the day...

moff347

Apr 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Down here it Texas that is a pretty average penny box. My personal best has been 17 wheats with with 4 pre-1940's dates. Other than that it is usually somewhere between 7 and 12 per box. My running average is 1 wheat per 6 1/2 rolls. Good luck

archertiger3

Feb 25, 2013
KS
Primary Interest:
Other
my penny box wheat average is 10. for example i got 2 boxes last week and one yielded 17 and one with 3 from the same bank

Zero

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome hunt. You are really turning the corner on this hobby.

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice job on the halves twitch. It's hard to take them all when they look like dumps but it sometimes pays off. I'd say your wheats are about average. I got 20 in my last box. Usually I get between 10 and 20 per box. Good job on the merc also. I've never scored at coinstar.

hokiemojo

Jan 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I've never found a proof penny. I'd chalk that up to one of those finds that you get in the beginning without realizing how rare they can be to find in rolls. I found a commemorative statue of liberty half in one of my early boxes of halves and it was what kept me going till I found my first silver. Details are starting to get fuzzzy, but I think it was my fifth or sixth box before i found a legitimate keeper in a box of halves.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've gotten a proof dime in change at a grocery store so somewhere there is a common story going on where people are opening and spending proof sets, hard times and poor choices and what a shame.......................63bkpkr

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Thanks everyone. I'm getting it figured out a little bit. I need to shore up my dump situation. Dropped $2K last week and I think that's a little more than my current situation can handle. I need to find a way to improve it. On the good news I had a teller I met a couple of weeks ago leave me a message this afternoon / evening that she'd gotten some halves. I'll call her back in the morning and go get them in the evening. I don't know how many she has, whether they're dumps, CWR, nothing. I'm exited to see what she has.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread