SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Saturday's hunt with Joey along with some good news about a very early site

I haven't had Joey down my way in a while so thought I'd give him an invite to hit the 1630s logged site along with the adjacent field. Dan and I have pulled quite a few buttons and coins from the site, and its where my rattlesnake and stars button came from. And that basket hilt came from very close by as well. We started out in the logged area, and I managed to pull out a couple of musketballs, 2 of those cloth button rings, and a spectacle buckle piece. But I had a little scare when a killer signal I got away from the main house site sounded just like a large silver or copper coin, and I was thinking "hammered". It did turn out to be the first coin we've found in the logged area, but I can't begin to tell you the disappointment when I realized I had just dug an 1820 LC. Normally I would be happy with such a find, but with the extreme age of the site any number of amazing coins could have popped out. Not long after that we moved over to the field, and hit the 1800s house site area that has been pounded. But I was amazed with the number of signals coming from that spot. In one 15 min period, 6 of the 7 targets I dug ended up being buttons. And afterwards I started digging coins like crazy, but again they were of the 1800s variety. After I got home and started cleaning the finds, I realized that 3 buttons were actually IHs. So I ended the day with more coins than buttons which is rather unusual (8 to 7). My final tally was 5 IHs, a shield nickle, a V nickle, and the LC. While we were there the farmer, and owner's nephew, drove out in the field to chat with us. We started asking if there were any plans for removing the debris from the logged area as 75-80% of it is currently unhuntable, and we know some great finds are hiding. To our surprise, he said that in the fall they were going to either burn or mulch the debris and plant trees back. So that will be opening up quite a nice opportunity for next season.

Attachments

• 040415a.jpg
    040415a.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 118
  • 040415b.jpg
    040415b.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 124
  • 040415c.jpg
    040415c.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 132
  • 040415d.jpg
    040415d.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 119
  • 040415e.jpg
    040415e.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 104
Upvote 8

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heck yeah. I would be very happy with that hunt and it sounds like they will open new ground for more. Tip of the iceberg it looks like.
You did well and am sure much awaits.

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another fine hunt ! Starting off for a great year. :thumbsup:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Mulching the piles would be the best as a burn would get pretty toasty under the piles. Really nice assortment of finds Bill, and it looks like there will some good hunting in the future.

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Nice LC Bill. I know its not hammered, but a great coin regardless. Glad that site might be opening up again as I cant wait to see what comes out.

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know exactly what you mean about being disappointed! ! Lol.
I hate when im on a really old site and i get a killer silver reading an pull out a barber..
Nice hunt anyway..

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Mulching the piles would be the best as a burn would get pretty toasty under the piles. Really nice assortment of finds Bill, and it looks like there will some good hunting in the future.

I really don't think they'll be burning there as not much of that goes on anymore. And if they mulch it up it'll probably be sold and hauled off site which will give us some nice bare ground to work with. At least that's the way I hope it turns out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread