Saturdays Hunting

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Saturday's Hunting

I didn't plan on doing any coin roll hunting, but I woke up early so I figured I'd hit some banks in a town to the north. I asked a few banks if they had any halves (they didn't) and then I made a wrong turn that put me in a different state. I asked for halves at another 10 or so banks with no results. I decided that I wanted to search some kind of coin, so at the next two banks I hit I asked for halves and then followed up with: "then can I buy a box of dimes". I started heading home with two boxes of dimes and then saw a cluster of banks in a shopping center and asked for halves at all three. One of them gave me a sealed Brinks box of halves. I searched that and dumped it. It was a total skunk. I've searched three brinks boxes so far and all have been skunks. I'm getting the feeling that everyone dumps into brinks supply in my neck of the woods, but I'm not totally giving up on them yet.

Onto the productive part of the day:
I got home and searched the dimes. I really wasn't expecting much. The second roll of the first box produced a mercury dime. In total, the first box gave me 4 mercs. The second box was looking like a skunk until one of the final rolls gave me a 1961 Canadian dime (google told me that it's 80% silver). Possibly the best part of the day was when I went to a local bank that I recently opened an account with to dump the dimes. It did not miscount a single dime. My total was right on the money. I think I'm going to augment my slow half days with dimes from now on.

Here's today's pic:
merc.jpg

Upvote 0

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice man! 4 rosies in a box would be killer... but mercs are so fricking cool looking!

62 and older is canadian 80% from what I know for dimes atleast, not sure about halves or quarters

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice and very unusual. 4 mercs and no Rosie's. Canadian dime is nice as well. FYI, in case you didn't know, 1964 was the last year Canada used the " young queen " likeness on their coins. If you see the young queen you know it's silver right away. HH

OP
OP
F

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the tips, fellas.

I thought it was odd that they were all mercs, too. I'm not complaining though. They are some of the coolest looking coins the U.S. ever made. It was a nice change of pace to search dimes because I can just edge check them without constantly second guessing myself. With halves, I either edge check and then look at every date or edge check and then spot check the ones that are suspect.

D1MES_101

Aug 7, 2012
USA
Primary Interest:
Other
nice haul! i just founded 4 90% silver dimes today too! i was surprised by the machine also because it counter 2450 dimes RIGHT ON TARGET! not one plus or minus!!!

FloridaFinder

Aug 27, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thanks for the link- I HATE Canadian dimes as at first glance you think you have silver but then you look close to the edge and can tell its Canadian- I pulled a 69 out yesterday and was wondering when they stopped silver-

I know what you're saying about the Canadian coins looking like silver. I recently found my childhood coin collection of foreign coins, and amidst them were some older Canadian ones. Got all excited thinking I might have some silver ones and found out the 69s weren't silver.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
I know what you're saying about the Canadian coins looking like silver. I recently found my childhood coin collection of foreign coins, and amidst them were some older Canadian ones. Got all excited thinking I might have some silver ones and found out the 69s weren't silver.

Check for the large date:

9221685_1.jpg

Thorne

Dec 5, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Canadian dimes have a different edge. Once you figure it out you'll be able to tell the different right away

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the graph it says 67-68 are 50% silver but then below that it says 68-77 is nickel so if I have a 1968 how do I know if its a 50% silver or not?

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
On the graph it says 67-68 are 50% silver but then below that it says 68-77 is nickel so if I have a 1968 how do I know if its a 50% silver or not?

Use a magnet, a silver one will not stick. The 1967s are harder. The only way to accurately test for the percentage (either 80% or 50%) is a complicated specific gravity test. Another way is a sound check, as 50% sounds closer to a 40% half, and an 80% sounds like a 90% half. The sound test is not 100% reliable though. That is why most coin shops sell them as 65%ers.

R&C jensen

Dec 7, 2012
East coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab,garrett
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The sides trick me when I look at them but they look exactly like silver does and I am used to hunting our kind of currency and not seeing Canadians.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread