Savannah Powder Magazine

Kevin Bozard

Aug 7, 2008
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Thanks Gypsy Witch. I was in Savannah yesterday, had I known about the powder magazine then, I would have stopped by to take a look. That gives me something to look forward to on my next trip across the river. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
:)

Attachments

• savannah powder.jpg
    savannah powder.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 730

Kevin Bozard

Aug 7, 2008
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
prospector40 said:
I would love to see some pics............hint hint

I will make the trip into Savannah one day next week, the magazine is only 16 miles from where I work. I'll be sure to take my camera along and snap some photos. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
I found this on the net:

Please park in lot across the street or beside building. Recent construction has erased the road into the site
The Savannah Powder Magazine was built in 1898 and used until 1963 for storing explosive powder, artillery ammunition, and eventually dynamite. It was built when P.W. Meldrim was mayor. The building was designed by Savannah architects, Alfred Eichberg and Hyman Witcover, who are credited separately with Savannah buildings including: City Hall, SCAD's Eichberg Hall, Telfair Hospital, and the Scottish Rite Temple. With a gothic design, The Savannah Powder Magazine is the only municipal powder magazine statewide, possibly the nation. No other similar historic structures exist anywhere in the state outside of military installations such as Fort Pulaski or Fort Jackson.

The 1,400-square-foot, 2-room magazine has survived many controversies and a colorful past. Developers wanted to destroy it. Others talked of converting it to a nightclub. One man aimed to buy and live in it. A homeless man once camped there because he said the natural setting was conducive for communicating with outer space.

Please contact Tommy Holland if you have any interest in obtaining additional information regarding the Savannah Powder Magazine or participating with restoration efforts, call(912)441-0841.

Attachments

• powder1.jpg
    powder1.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 703
  • powder2.jpg
    powder2.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 619

Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"The Savannah Powder Magazine is the only municipal powder magazine statewide, possibly the nation. No other similar historic structures exist anywhere in the state outside of military installations such as Fort Pulaski or Fort Jackson."

I disagree with that one. There is a powder magazine in Brinson, GA. Much smaller but a brick powder magazine none the less. I was looking at it this past Friday.

OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
I think the difference is the word "municipal", because there are several powder magazines that I know of ,but they are military based at old forts etc...

Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gypsy Heart said:
I think the difference is the word "municipal", because there are several powder magazines that I know of ,but they are military based at old forts etc...

Brinson is a town in southwest Georgia. Not military, not old fort. Just a town with a powder magazine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread