Saxon Gold Coin Found!

mudslideslim

Mar 21, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are a couple of field pics of my coin moments after I dug it in England last week. As you can see it came out of the ground beautiful - just a little dirt. That's gold for you - doesnt matter how old it is. Here are the particulars: English Saxon Thrysmas gold coin - Crondall type c620 -650 AD -named after the hoard found in 1828. Sent off to the Fitzmuseum Corpus database for recording 1.26g, 11.46mm - 'Witmen type'

Click on the link below to check out the full length movie put together by the outfitter we used in England. It consists of videos I shot with the hatcam, mixed in with some great hunt footage he took along with some still shots with other finds. Enjoy!
hh
slim

Click here to view the video! http://www.colchestertreasurehunting.co.uk/thisweekfindsquick.htm
(scroll down till you see the VIDEO DOWNLOAD PAGE link.)

Attachments

• saxongold620ad645adcropd_640x480.jpg
    saxongold620ad645adcropd_640x480.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 8,784
  • saxongold620ad645adcropd1_640x480.jpg
    saxongold620ad645adcropd1_640x480.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 9,066
Upvote 1
OP
OP
mudslideslim

mudslideslim

Mar 21, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep - they picked up on the accent a couple of times. lol
hh
slim

Leon said:
Wow! Slim,,, Fantastic find, Congrats!!!
I had to look at the name of the poster twice,,, ol' mudslideslim in England? lol
Did any of them foreigners say anything about your accent?.. ;D
Continued Good luck, & Happy hunting~

OP
OP
mudslideslim

mudslideslim

Mar 21, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks SukiSal - I'm envious of where you live! Best of luck detecting over there.
hh
slim

SukiSal said:
Absolutely stunning, dream find!
Congrats, and thoroughly enjoyed the video.
Colchester is only down the road from me, so if any of you come over say Hi. ;D

OP
OP
mudslideslim

mudslideslim

Mar 21, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks bud - its worth a little chunk of change, but you're right - to me... priceless!
hh
slim

imafishingnutt said:
very nice finds keep up the good diggens
WHATS IT WORTH
BESIDES PRICELESS TO YOU...LOL

bootstrap vinn

Apr 25, 2006
Central Maine
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1210x Fisher 1236x2 Fisher 1225x
GRRREAT find Mudslide,I don't think they could've pryed my fingers off it with a crowbar!! It may sound dishonest but I think I would have bought a pair of steel toed boots and tucked it up inside the toe liner and brought that baby home!!! Sorry folks I just couldn't help myself, the gold just brings out the pirate in me and believe me its not too far below the surface! HH, Bootstrap

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tyre kicker said:
CRUSADER said:
Admiral de Salee said:
I hope to make a trip to the UK in '08. If that doesn't work, I'll hope to live 'til '09.

But if I make sixteen trips, I won't likely find anything anywhere close. When I see one of these world-class, once-in-a-lifetime finds, I try to imagine what the treasure finder felt. Can't even imagine it.

I HOPE YOU SELL IT (if you're inclined to) FOR A GREAT BIG WAD OF DOUGH! Rhymes with WTG!!

He may have to if the BM want it.
Agree with Crusader it could be classed as treasure because the video shows silver hammered being found. although the silver can not be associated with Saxon treasure the Gold Saxon could be associated with a medieval treasure (I.E hoard more than one coin of precious metal). :-\

I wasn't saying it because it was Treasure Trove because it isn't. Its because you want it to leave the country which gives the BM rights to buy. If you left it in the UK its yours.

OP
OP
mudslideslim

mudslideslim

Mar 21, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gotcha. thanks.
hh
slim

CRUSADER said:
tyre kicker said:
CRUSADER said:
Admiral de Salee said:
I hope to make a trip to the UK in '08. If that doesn't work, I'll hope to live 'til '09.

But if I make sixteen trips, I won't likely find anything anywhere close. When I see one of these world-class, once-in-a-lifetime finds, I try to imagine what the treasure finder felt. Can't even imagine it.

I HOPE YOU SELL IT (if you're inclined to) FOR A GREAT BIG WAD OF DOUGH! Rhymes with WTG!!

He may have to if the BM want it.
Agree with Crusader it could be classed as treasure because the video shows silver hammered being found. although the silver can not be associated with Saxon treasure the Gold Saxon could be associated with a medieval treasure (I.E hoard more than one coin of precious metal). :-\

I wasn't saying it because it was Treasure Trove because it isn't. Its because you want it to leave the country which gives the BM rights to buy. If you left it in the UK its yours.

uni1angel77.

Feb 11, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Fischer 1212-X, Viper Trident, now learning my Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
:o Very Nice!!! I could only dream of such a find!!! Wait a minute, what's that I hear ::) Rod Stewart singing "Some Guys Have All The Luck" ;D Great job and more good finds to you!!!

colonial relic hunter

Nov 26, 2007
Harrison city, Pa
Detector(s) used
Troy Shadow X3 & X2 and X5. Whites spectrum & silver eagle ll. Garrett ADS 4.
Wow what a find!

Sal I think I would have died right there when I saw it! Congratulations on the wonderful historical find! Sal keep the video's coming! I really enjoy them like everyone else.

Bill(pa)

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
Mudslideslim,

Have you seen this?

A Real Treasure: Anglo-Saxon Gold Coin Goes On Show

February 08 2006

The British Museum showed off the newest treasure in their collection today - a very special Anglo-Saxon coin.

Shows a close-up photo of a gold coin. There's a man's head in the centre of the coin, surrounded by letters.

The coin is more than a thousand years old. It's made of gold and shows a king called Coenwulf on one side.

Coenwulf was very powerful. He ruled an area known as 'Mercia' to the Anglo-Saxons, a large part of modern-day England, from 796 to 821. Can you find his name in this picture?

The coin was found near Bedford in 2001 by a metal-detectorist. It's taken until now for the Museum to raise enough money to buy it. They had to pay £357,832 - making it the most expensive British coin ever!

So why is it important? Well - coins like this are extremely rare. This is one of only eight coins dating back to this time in history that have ever been found. Plus, it's in almost perfect condition, making it even more valuable.

Attachments

• Saxon.JPG
    Saxon.JPG
    24.5 KB · Views: 6,319
OP
OP
mudslideslim

mudslideslim

Mar 21, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a beauty for sure! Hadn't seen that. Mine is not quite that rare. I guess I would only cry a little if the museum wanted to purchase it from me for that amount of dosh! Thanks for sharing bud.
hh
slim

BioProfessor said:
Mudslideslim,

Have you seen this?

A Real Treasure: Anglo-Saxon Gold Coin Goes On Show

February 08 2006

The British Museum showed off the newest treasure in their collection today - a very special Anglo-Saxon coin.

Shows a close-up photo of a gold coin. There's a man's head in the centre of the coin, surrounded by letters.

The coin is more than a thousand years old. It's made of gold and shows a king called Coenwulf on one side.

Coenwulf was very powerful. He ruled an area known as 'Mercia' to the Anglo-Saxons, a large part of modern-day England, from 796 to 821. Can you find his name in this picture?

The coin was found near Bedford in 2001 by a metal-detectorist. It's taken until now for the Museum to raise enough money to buy it. They had to pay £357,832 - making it the most expensive British coin ever!

So why is it important? Well - coins like this are extremely rare. This is one of only eight coins dating back to this time in history that have ever been found. Plus, it's in almost perfect condition, making it even more valuable.

OP
OP
mudslideslim

mudslideslim

Mar 21, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Wow what a find!

thanks bill! glad you enjoy my vids.
hh
slim

colonial relic hunter said:
Sal I think I would have died right there when I saw it! Congratulations on the wonderful historical find! Sal keep the video's coming! I really enjoy them like everyone else.

Bill(pa)

OP
OP
mudslideslim

mudslideslim

Mar 21, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thank ya!
hh
slim

uni1angel77. said:
:o Very Nice!!! I could only dream of such a find!!! Wait a minute, what's that I hear ::) Rod Stewart singing "Some Guys Have All The Luck" ;D Great job and more good finds to you!!!

Dirt Fishin Dale

Aug 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Excal 1000, Binford 5000 super hunter
Slim, you’re killin me. Big congrats on that find.
What’s the chance of me finding one of those here in Florida?
SLIM to none.

trashdude

Nov 21, 2007
Cocoa, Fl
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, XLT, QXT, Beach Hunter, Vibra-Tector 730
Awesome find. That'll buy you a few new metal detectors. ;D

OP
OP
mudslideslim

mudslideslim

Mar 21, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
maybe some nice early gold and silver lurking around the treasure coast over there! thanks bud.
hh
slim

Dirt Fishin Dale said:
Slim, you’re killin me. Big congrats on that find.
What’s the chance of me finding one of those here in Florida?
SLIM to none.

OP
OP
mudslideslim

mudslideslim

Mar 21, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks buddy! i was just glad i was able to pay for my batteries that day. :)
hh
slim

trashdude said:
Awesome find. That'll buy you a few new metal detectors. ;D

OP
OP
mudslideslim

mudslideslim

Mar 21, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks bud - i always wanted to make the banner! - i like to imagine all of the great treasure still hiding underground.
hh
slim

http://treasureoutfitters.com

Old Dog said:
Hey slim,

Congrats on making the banner.
Sure s nice to see all the good stuff hasn't been found.

OD

OP
OP
mudslideslim

mudslideslim

Mar 21, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks bud - you ain't done too bad yerself with those nice early coppers and silvers
hh
slim

KirkPA said:
Mudslim,

I always enjoy your videos, buddy. You have some mad skills, my friend.

Bone Dry Detecting...Kirk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread