Says Silver but...... HELP Silver Experts!

Retired Fire

Dec 29, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 400, 5"x8" coils for both. Whites PinPointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an old Bracelet that says "Silver" with "Mexico" under that. However when I tested various parts with acid test all I get is a Blue or Dark Green result. If it is indeed blue my kit says 500 Silver. But I cant really tell. I think some tourist got ripped off. Look at my photos below and chime in with opinions. Thanks for your help in advance.
IMG_20180101_181032609~2.jpg IMG_20180101_181135509~2.jpg IMG_20180101_181513465~2.jpg IMG_20180101_183403350~2.jpg

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yep, it probably a low grade silver sold to tourists. For the size of it youve still got a nice chunk!

OP
OP
Retired Fire

Retired Fire

Dec 29, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tested each section, loops and long slinder pieces and they all test out the same. The weight is 47.885 grams.

IMG_20180101_205849399~2.jpg

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Did you test the clasp that says silver Mexico, that could be a higher content. The greyer looking bracelet could be a lower grade of coin silver, I bought stuff like this in India and it sold as such. (I was interested only in antiquity of the items, not the content)

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Only testing can be certain but when I see silver jewelry of any kind stamped Mexico I instantly think silver coins with a large dose of nickel thrown in. Does not detract from the beauty of a piece and both my wife and I will snatch it up if the price is fair. As for the melt pile... who knows?

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most Mexican silver is pretty fine, but this piece does look suspicious.

OP
OP
Retired Fire

Retired Fire

Dec 29, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you test the clasp that says silver Mexico, that could be a higher content. The greyer looking bracelet could be a lower grade of coin silver, I bought stuff like this in India and it sold as such. (I was interested only in antiquity of the items, not the content)

Yes the clasp tested the same as the rest. :-(

OP
OP
Retired Fire

Retired Fire

Dec 29, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only testing can be certain but when I see silver jewelry of any kind stamped Mexico I instantly think silver coins with a large dose of nickel thrown in. Does not detract from the beauty of a piece and both my wife and I will snatch it up if the price is fair. As for the melt pile... who knows?

I think with the green from the test it probably has a good bit of nickel in it.

basssmann

Feb 9, 2013
YOUNGSVILLE, N.Y...... moved to Jacksonville, Flor
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
VIPER TRIDENT , Fisher F75 and just added a CTX 3030 Minelab and Minelab Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Poor markings... hand stamped... Stuff from Mexico can be good or just marked as silver or gold to get the tourist.... once you own it... your stuck..

I should know... before I bought a test kit, I bought these cheap to re-sell.... All marked 14K Made in Italy .... all made in Mexico and 14K plated...

Let the buyer beware !!!

100_2937.JPG

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer 2 and Makro Kruzer
Garrett Carrot pro-pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anything can say anything on it but it doesn't mean its anything. I found a necklace that said it was 14k. I brought it to a jeweler and she said it was fake. Get it tested first.

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Silver" might be the color and not the content. :dontknow:

Blue indicates nickel iirc. If it was .500 it would test some shade of brown. At least it didn't test yellow. Maybe test your acid on a piece of known silver.

OP
OP
Retired Fire

Retired Fire

Dec 29, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Silver" might be the color and not the content. :dontknow:

Blue indicates nickel iirc. If it was .500 it would test some shade of brown. At least it didn't test yellow. Maybe test your acid on a piece of known silver.

LOL, I did and it was all red. But this is obviously Nickel base. It was in a box of Jewelry that had a good bit of sterling mixed in. I didn't pay for any of it, just a hand me down. I was just hoping for a heavy chunk of silver. I am ok with the less than perfect results. Is what it is.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread