Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found a point today that I thought would be easy to I?d in my overstreet book but I?m not finding that corner notch with the round base combo, I looked on projectilepoints.net and it says scallorn, I was under the impression that scallorn was now limited to Texas and they went by sorters bluff around here. Now I?m wondering what the truth is because it?s seems both sources are fairly reliable. As for the point just like many others I find it isn?t going to fit neatly into any types I can find all the sorters bluff seem to have a flatter base that is the same width as the barbs
3802BA1D-570F-4207-9197-7455F21D1730.jpg
0D72377B-9D43-4750-8CA2-617EA297C037.jpeg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s what I’m saying, not sure who to believe , to my knowledge this is the newest edition.. #15
787096F4-8FFE-4C23-A503-2403A65BE54F.jpeg
D45B6744-0152-46CF-BC2A-FF5C8A861EF1.jpeg

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Nebraska panhandle/NE Colorado
Detector(s) used
I took the battery out because I like my bacon crispy
Primary Interest:
Other
..... the Overstreet book is more of a Christmas wish catalog than a reference source. IMO.

justonemore

Oct 31, 2011
Indiana
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
..... the Overstreet book is more of a Christmas wish catalog than a reference source. IMO.

You talking about the 15th edition that Matt Rowe played a major part in the identification and editing?

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Nebraska panhandle/NE Colorado
Detector(s) used
I took the battery out because I like my bacon crispy
Primary Interest:
Other
...I haven’t seen the 15th edition. I have a few different copy’s of prior editions. A few years ago several of the “big name editors”, for me Jeb Taylor, publicly denounced because of all the errors.
I know very little about Matt Rowe. He does seem like a decent person.
All the pics are fun to look at but the book has lost all creditability, before he showed up, to use as a trusted reference source.
To me, it’s like finding fake and rechips in someone’s personal finds collection, that are not identified as just that. It casts the shadow of doubt on the whole collection...

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Older The Better Congratulations on your beautiful recovery we used to take the train from NY to Ellsworth Kansas many years ago..I remember seeing the combines and the fields that stretched as far as the eye could see

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Scallorns were identified at the Big Eddy site in Southwest Missouri, so parts of Kansas seem pretty reasonable from a distance point of view.

Can you post a better picture of the point?

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
With all the damage at the base, I'm not sure one can say with certainty that it had a round base. Both types you mention occur in the same timeframe; i.e. Late Woodland into Mississippian.

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
To whatever extent that anyone cares, I'd co-sign any identification or statement Matt Rowe made, sight unseen.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah from the one side it certainly looks rounded but on the opposite I can see where it may have broken
0289AAFC-EC02-4CB0-B3D9-F06AE7EB55E0.jpeg
B8021967-441C-444C-B822-FADC990D9336.jpeg
ED0395E1-1E2D-4E6C-9C40-63B887608A9F.jpeg
871388AB-6739-4269-A741-E762223AA82B.jpeg
I agree sorters bluff and scallorn are probably contemporaries, likely related. I’m not sure why some have decided to limit scallorn to Texas but I’m guess they have good reason for it to be published. Sounds like either overstreet is getting ahead of themselves on something not yet settled or projectilepoints hasn’t updated with the latest info on scallorn points. I just like to be as correct as I can be when labeling things In my collection, I try not to spread misinformation.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scallorns were identified at the Big Eddy site in Southwest Missouri, so parts of Kansas seem pretty reasonable from a distance point of view.

Can you post a better picture of the point?

I had a summer geoarch class that I believe visited the big eddy site, we were walking the banks and I was looking around and pulled out a beautiful black point with many notches, I got excited and showed what I found to the park ranger or who ever was officially hosting us. He took it and said it was a good one to go with the archaeological collection… never saw it again, sometimes I wish I’d said nothing and put that thing in my pocket, knowing what I know now it was a high end point. And to clarify we were on the river somewhere around the big eddy site I wasn’t plucking points from the site itself.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread