scalp itch

Lucas

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2010
U of A
Re: Some finds from today

Wow! Do you think the barrel was cut off with a file? We know it was done but I have never seen a really good example.

And is the flat lead a gaming piece, a seal, or... ?

Rings! You pretty much have the whole range. :hello2:

Lucas

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2010
U of A

Novice? You already have a super collection! :icon_sunny:

Cut down guns... from the Pontiac's War to Alexander Henry (Younger) on Red River, there are mentions of cut down trade guns. Even more common are mentions of burst barrels... and the Henry quote says he was hunting with a gun that was cut down after it had burst. We also know that they didn't have hacksaws. :laughing7:

They did have files, and there is lots of stuff that was cut (like all that re-worked trade silver), plus somebody posted on another site some broken axes that had marks like they were being used as anvils for cutting with chisels.

The cut marks are soooo obvious on your barrel that it is a noteworthy piece that could be a example of what we see in the quotes. It doesn't surprise me that it was bent to finish the cut... I do that myself with metal.

Avatar... actually stole the pic from the Brit detecting forum... it has my last name on it.

A. Grignon

Oct 9, 2007
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT & Whites Beachhunter

Great finds Mnlineman. I too had a great first day out about 2 weeks ago. Pics coming soon as the camera battery has to be charged, but to give you a preview....... nice button, copper fish hook, and a 1784 half reale. Watch for it. It would be a shame to let the fur trade forum die. :(

Lucas

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2010
U of A

Never say die! It's still the off season. We have snow today. :-\

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread