Scam in New Jersey --- Be Weary

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fellow Treasure Hunters --- There's a fungus among-us!

Here's the scoop --- bought a small lot of silver coins and wwii memorabilia (6 items) from a dealer at a flea market in Central Jersey a few weeks ago. Never saw her before until last weekend. She had a table out with a variety of items including these items in a small case. It was very early in the A.M. and when I came up to the table she asked if I was interested in coins. I told her no (I don't usually buy coins). She told me I've got these old coins and some military medals --- "I know they are very valuable but I only need to get $75.00 for them." I took a look at them -- Worn out looking 1890's silver dollars and a few German looking military pins. I debated the purchase with my treasure hunting buddies and then we decided "why not?" (I foolishly argued in favor of buying them)

Got home -- Silver Dollars are silver over copper. Bummer. Military medals are Chineese reproductions of two of the absolute rarest German medals (a nazi gardening badge and a skull badge).

No great loss and I presumed the dealer just made a mistake. BUT THEN ...... at a garage sale last week I am waiting to look at some magazines when I hear "I know they are very valuable but I only need to get $75.00". I couldn't believe it. There she was sitting at a table with the same little case with another assortnment of coins and medals. I told her they were fakes and she became very belligerent (including racist remarks to my Asian hunting buddy and my father). She packed her stuff up and into a bag and started heading to her car. The owner of the house said she came by that morning and said she lived in the neighborhood but didn't have time to have her own sale and asked if she could set up the table. His wife gave her permission, but they had never seen her before.

Any description of the "offender" would be too general to do anything but make people nervous ---- just watch our for any older lady hocking silver coins and military medals from a small case in Central / South Jersey.

I live in South-Central NJ. Please let us know where this happened so we can be on the lookout.

Coins can be tough... I have seen fake coins at Lambertville flea market. I saw fake coins in an antique store in Peddler's Village (PA). Fakes even showed up at my metal detecting meeting (the person who brought them had a hundred of them).

Wow, that's unbelievable! She sounds like a really stand up person :laughing7:

Horrible; but not surprising...

Sent from my SCH-R930 using Tapatalk 2

I don't want to defame the market because its a good market and I've never had a problem there. It has been identified in this thread. The garage sale was in Franklin NJ just off of Easton Avenue.

Jeresey Ben - I agree, Coins are hard and I don't know anything about them really. Its disappointing because this was an intentional effort to take advantage of people to make $75 bucks. Also- who the hell makes fake old U.S. coins. Very odd thing. I am going to do some research on google.

I don't want to defame the market because its a good market and I've never had a problem there. It has been identified in this thread. The garage sale was in Franklin NJ just off of Easton Avenue.

Jeresey Ben - I agree, Coins are hard and I don't know anything about them really. Its disappointing because this was an intentional effort to take advantage of people to make $75 bucks. Also- who the hell makes fake old U.S. coins. Very odd thing. I am going to do some research on google.

When a common date circulated silver dollar is fetching $25-30, it is quite lucrative.

At least drop the coin on the table and listen for the ringing sound only a true silver coin can make. Last 2 silver quarters I found in change I heard didn't see. When unsure its better to miss out than to lose out.

it is not just this woman that you have to watch out for... The Chinese have flooded the market with counterfeit Trade Dollars, Seated, Morgans, all kinds of FAKE rare and common silver coins. When buying coins like these from places you don't know and trust its very sketchy anywhere in the world now. My friend, myself and many others have been fooled by these coins... You have to check for quality when buying them. Often fakes will have errors like wrong dates or mint marks incorrect spelling ext. The edges will look like this /\/\/\/\ instead of this ||||||| like a real one should. You can see little mosquito bite type bumps in the fields of the coins sometimes too. The fakes are usually poorly made and easy to spot, they are all over online auction sites too. Some sites have taken steps to prevent them from being sold but, I Imagine they are still a problem on most online auctions. Always carry a small magnet with you cause the main dead giveaway on these is most are magnetic. Also you can check the weight of the coins... This message is for everyone's information, be careful out there folks !!

Keep @ it and HH !!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back