School grounds silver

dfxdude

Jun 29, 2004
Wilmont, MN
Detector(s) used
White's DFX (2) V3i(1)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a grassy area in the FB Field End Zone extended past the running track on one end of a local small town (pop. 500) football field. Kids have played pickup games there going back to at least the 50's, maybe earlier. I had detected this area 2 years ago, but we had a drought then and ground was super dry and I was using canned/stock program on my DFX at the time. Only found a couple of wheaties and some clad then. Went over it last week with a custom program which got me 2" or more of depth and came up with my first Walking Liberty half (1943), a 1944 Washington quarter, a 1918 Merc.(my oldest Merc) and 5 Silver Roosies. Also got 7 wheaties between 1935 - 1946(not pictured). The Walker is in nice condition. The Merc. is worn and had to use a magnifier to read the 8 on 1918. The quarter has a lot of wear, but all the Roosies are in nice shape. The Walker was at 6" and the rest were all at 4 1/2" to 6 1/2", except the 1918 Merc. which was only a couple of inches down. LOVE THAT SILVER ! ! ! ! The 1943 Walking Liberty really sang (I was using Tone ID) and VDI= 90.

Attachments

• MACCRAYSilver.jpg
    MACCRAYSilver.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 411
Upvote 0
N

Neptunus Rex

Be sure to go again after recent rains. The "halo" effect will produce yet again. GREAT FINDS :o

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holly Crap!! That's the best dug silver haul I have looked at on this forum...I Think! It would have been so cool to live back when most all coins used silver.

WTG, Keep at it and HH!!

Colorado2

Dec 26, 2004
Berthoud CO
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's MXT, Fisher Gold Bug II
Man Dude...I didn't think there was a school left in America with that much silver laying around. Beautiful finds, congratulations~CO2

groundfisher

Mar 27, 2005
Merrill,Wi.
Nice haul of silver.Your return trip to that feild really paid off.
That walking liberty sure is a beautiful peice.Congrats on your first .

HH!

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice coins,

hh

lonewolfe

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job!! The rosies still have detail of hair,good coins.WTG!!

OP
OP
dfxdude

dfxdude

Jun 29, 2004
Wilmont, MN
Detector(s) used
White's DFX (2) V3i(1)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I just started 4th year detecting in May and had 10,000 coins to date, but this haul of 8 silvers and 7 wheaties for 4 hours work almost doubled my silver output for the first 3 years. I had never gotten more than 2 silvers in a single day before (2 times). I went back there today and scanned the area at right angles to how I scanned it before. Did about half of the area and came up with just 15 clad(post 1964). We havent had any noticeable rain there for about 3 weeks, and the grass is almost brown and ground is like course sugar. Will want to hit it again when we get a good soaking for better ground continuity.

F

Floater

Great Digs Dude. That Programing must really work I don't understand it since I'm a Minelab kinda guy but congrats for figuring it out and making it work. Those are spectacular finds in my book. HH

Huntin' 59er

Apr 27, 2005
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on all that silver ! Looks like you found a great place to hunt !

Huntin' 59er

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's the exact same area of the football field I have been hunting the past few times out. So far I've only found a close but no cigar 1965 quarter. I went back out there his morning and found some clad and a 1953D wheat cent. Still no silver. I am running my GTI 2500 with the depth custom set at anything below 3". Found the quarter at 8" and the wheat cent at between 4 and 5 inches. I've just about run out of signals to dig. The area was once gravel and I think they scooped a lot of it out and filled in with dirt and sod. One find was 2" down in the gravel and the other right at the gravel line. JIM

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread