goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
I haven't been running any of the material off the slab yet but I guess I should at least do a good sample from it. Problem is that it's got lots of clay in it mixed with rock so we'd need to sweet talk Keith into bringing his trommel out for a test run to be sure the materials get broken down. with all the pieces of cast iron I'm not sure he'd be willing to risk damage to his new toy.

I have already talked with the BLM historical preservation rep for our area and he's not even interested in the artifacts we've been finding. Lots of parts from an old cast iron stove, period glass bottles etc. His only request was that we don't alter the slab. The slab seems to be in two main sections. Almost like there were actually two separate structures right next to each other. I can't tell for sure at this point but it is strange to say the least.

We are slowly getting improvements made out there and will soon even have a portable shower so we don't have to spend the week long trips out there living off of spit baths. Being able to clean up before hitting the tent for the night will go a loooong way towards sleeping better! We've even got a portable bathroom in mind for the girls comfort. I just have to get a few more parts together and Robi and the Munchkin will think they're staying at the Hilton..... yeah.... Right!!!!

TheGoldProspector

Apr 14, 2014
Gold Country - California
Detector(s) used
-Keene A52 - Fab2.5 Highbanker - GoldNSand Hand Dredge

Garrett AT Pro - Bazooka Gold Trap 30" Prospector - Garrett Ace 250 - Blue Bowl Concentrator
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I haven't been running any of the material off the slab yet but I guess I should at least do a good sample from it. Problem is that it's got lots of clay in it mixed with rock so we'd need to sweet talk Keith into bringing his trommel out for a test run to be sure the materials get broken down. with all the pieces of cast iron I'm not sure he'd be willing to risk damage to his new toy. I have already talked with the BLM historical preservation rep for our area and he's not even interested in the artifacts we've been finding. Lots of parts from an old cast iron stove, period glass bottles etc. His only request was that we don't alter the slab. The slab seems to be in two main sections. Almost like there were actually two separate structures right next to each other. I can't tell for sure at this point but it is strange to say the least. We are slowly getting improvements made out there and will soon even have a portable shower so we don't have to spend the week long trips out there living off of spit baths. Being able to clean up before hitting the tent for the night will go a loooong way towards sleeping better! We've even got a portable bathroom in mind for the girls comfort. I just have to get a few more parts together and Robi and the Munchkin will think they're staying at the Hilton..... yeah.... Right!!!!

Great improvements! Great job going the legal route about it All.
Congrats

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Jeff the trommel will get its first run in about a month from now in Arivaca. I already know the spot that I will be digging and feeding the trommel. The trommel is out getting powder coating and I will be going back up to Phx. to pick it up in a few weeks. I got to thank Jay at Just Bent for disassembling the trommel and taking it over to his painter. The paint shops in Tucson have no competition so they keep the prices high on Powder Coating. I have no clue to the colors as I have left it up to Jay. He knows I want some desert colors so will see soon.

elgatodelnoche

Aug 21, 2013
East Mesa, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Deepseeker ADS
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Jeff that bench right down from the campsite where I found the file gets my gold radar going. There is a bunch of currogated tin there like there might have been a shack of some kind there too at one point.

Also if you can get a portable cement mixer, I have some steel balls to throw into it to make it into a ball mill for breaking up the clay.

Last edited:
OP
OP
goldenIrishman

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Jeff the trommel will get its first run in about a month from now in Arivaca. I already know the spot that I will be digging and feeding the trommel. The trommel is out getting powder coating and I will be going back up to Phx. to pick it up in a few weeks. I got to thank Jay at Just Bent for disassembling the trommel and taking it over to his painter. The paint shops in Tucson have no competition so they keep the prices high on Powder Coating. I have no clue to the colors as I have left it up to Jay. He knows I want some desert colors so will see soon.

Why do I keep having visions of hot pink and fluorescent green going through my head here? I used to do powder coating when I was out in Georgia and it really is the way to go when possible. It is even better if you can have a layer of PPG E-Coat laid down before the powder. Makes it bind to the surface like a Tick to a hound.

OP
OP
goldenIrishman

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Jeff that bench right down from the campsite where I found the file gets my gold radar going. There is a bunch of currogated tin there like there might have been a shack of some kind there too at one point.

Also if you can get a portable cement mixer, I have some steel balls to throw into it to make it into a ball mill for breaking up the clay.

Are you talking the old campsite or the new one? All that tin is from the roof of the building that was on the slab. We're not positive but think the building burned down some years ago. We've been finding layers of ash in the area around the slab.

Glad you're willing to let us use your steel balls for milling. Keeps me from having to use my brass ones! ;) I've been looking at a small ball mill for grinding black sands down prior to amalgamation but with only a 15 Lb capacity I don't think it would be worth bringing out to bust up clay balls.

OP
OP
goldenIrishman

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Mining uniforms will be formal at our claim.....

Here's a picture of the new "formal" uniforms to be worn while mining at our claim.

jefftux.jpg

Actually I dug this old shirt out to pull a joke on Chris. He had gone up to his car to get some stuff and I yelled at him that dinner would be "Formal". Hey... After almost a week out htere we had to do something to unwind and relax a bit!

That shirt is about 20 years old and had been bought to wear to a friends wedding that I was doing the photography for. His bride wanted us all in a Tux but it was an outdoor wedding in August. My friend Tony (the groom) wanted to trade with me soooo bad it wasn't funny!

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hope you're proud it still fits :)

OP
OP
goldenIrishman

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Well to be honest Kev it is a "bit snug" around the midsection. At least it's not like it was painted on..... Yet!!!!! :laughing7:

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Schools out! Now it's time for me to get out there & get some gold!

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Lincolnton North Carolina
Detector(s) used
30" Bazooka Sniper, Drop Riffle sluice box.
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If I had a shirt from 20 years ago it would be too small for sure. I was 6 back then!

OP
OP
goldenIrishman

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
If I had a shirt from 20 years ago it would be too small for sure. I was 6 back then!

One advantage of being an "old fart" I guess. I was only 36 or so when I got that thing and it's been boxed up for years. Man..... To be that age again and know what I do now! Life would be very different to say the least.

Sample Pan Dan

Bronze Member
Oct 20, 2012
Bostonia,Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to learning what I am at 38!
I think you should make your shirts, just like that, tux on the front, with the claim name and "we dress to kill....Gold" on the back!!

OP
OP
goldenIrishman

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry Dan but black is NOT the best color for mining in out here no matter what time of year it is. I ended up swapping it out for something cooler pretty quick and I had a shade tarp strung up over the dig site and a breeze blowing. We (I) have pretty much decided on the design I posted a while back on "Safety green" shirts. With all the hunters out there in the fall it just seems like a good idea. Of course they're going to hate us if we are working the area below the pond after the monsoons are over. No deer are going to come into that area if it smells like people and that's one of the favorite areas for hunters.

OP
OP
goldenIrishman

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Well guys it seems that we have a journal section now so the way I see it is that I have a decision to make. Do I.....
A: Leave this thread here and just keep on trucking?
B: Move it to the new section and keep on trucking?
C: Abandon this thread and start a new one?

Let me know what you think via PM. If move is the decision them I'll PM Bossman Jeff and have him move it over to the new section.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread