School me on Prospecting Picks...

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Is APEX the golden standard, or is there a better alternative...?

My Criteria:

1. Prefer a mid-sized pick - something small enough to strap to a rucksack or use while kneeling, etc... not a hand pick, and not a full size pickaxe.

2. Magnets are not required, but also not a dealbreaker.
I'd like one on the bottom of the handle, but will add it myself if need be.

3. Needs to be "general purpose"... suited for use metal detecting, prospecting (should I ever try it), point sifting, etc...

4. Hardwood handle... preferably easy to find a replacement for and re-handle shall the need arise.

5. I'd imagine that price isn't gonna be a factor here... but let's keep it under $100 just in case I'm not aware of some $300 limited edition prospecting pick that charges your iPhone or some crap, haha!

Thanks in advance for any input!

~Tejaas~

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Calvin Bunker's "Hermit Pick." $65.00

Attachments

• HermitPicks.jpg
    HermitPicks.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 110

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Terry has offered you a fine pick, but here is another. Royal 18" with fully embedded two magnets into the 1/4" thick head (AR) Abrasion Resistant plate , cad plated, hickory handle, lifetime warranty. $68.00. Also without magnets for $49.00. They also have a 36" handle with serrated head $89.00, holster for $7.00 for your belt. I may add the head has been case harden to a Rockwell 50 hardest that the steel is not brittle or will bend. It's one tough pick. Royal Products

Pick.jpg Pick 2.gif Pick 1.jpg

Last edited:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ESTWING the industry standard for almost a 100 years,none finer. I still use one from 1961 and many 10s a 1,000s a hours beating up rocks with that righteous tool.John

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Being cheap as I am, I made my own pick from a cars leaf spring! cost only time and my free labor!

Russ... whatever works. Always nice to be handy. I use to build custom knives and send the blanks out to be harden. Just don't have much time on my hands anymore or would have made my own picks.

OP
OP
Tejaas

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for the input, folks!

Trying to decide between the Apex and the Royal suggested above.

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the input, folks!

Trying to decide between the Apex and the Royal suggested above.

We have two of the Royals we use. I have beat the diggins out of rock and they show no sign of wear other than the cad finish is gone, but your going to have that with any pick that's painted or cad plated. With the wide back blade makes it handy to move material. Just my two cents...

KiddoTheMiner

Jun 9, 2014
Forsyth county, GA
Detector(s) used
Jobe drop riffle sluice
Garrett gold pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
are we literally having a conversation about picaxes, I mean in my mind you go to home depot find one you like and pay for it, easy

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
are we literally having a conversation about picaxes, I mean in my mind you go to home depot find one you like and pay for it, easy

The HD's are junk. They have a wierd curve to them and cheap feel to them. One of the guys who digs with us showed up with one and the next time out it was replaced. You get what you pay for.

OP
OP
Tejaas

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

No, "WE" are not.
As in -your- input was nowhere near constructive, informative, or helpful.

I laid out a specific set of criteria, none of which can be met by an imported product available at a brick and mortar location.

~Tejaas~

KiddoTheMiner

Jun 9, 2014
Forsyth county, GA
Detector(s) used
Jobe drop riffle sluice
Garrett gold pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
No, "WE" are not.
As in -your- input was nowhere near constructive, informative, or helpful.

I laid out a specific set of criteria, none of which can be met by an imported product available at a brick and mortar location.

~Tejaas~

sorry, just commenting my thoughts

TheGoldProspector

Apr 14, 2014
Gold Country - California
Detector(s) used
-Keene A52 - Fab2.5 Highbanker - GoldNSand Hand Dredge

Garrett AT Pro - Bazooka Gold Trap 30" Prospector - Garrett Ace 250 - Blue Bowl Concentrator
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The HD's are junk. They have a wierd curve to them and cheap feel to them. One of the guys who digs with us showed up with one and the next time out it was replaced. You get what you pay for.

I can agree. Picks, being one of the more used tools in my pack, should be of better quality for those who deem themselves more than a once a year recreational prospector; for it Does make a substancial difference day in and day out

Good wisdom gentlemen. Thank you

Moise

Tenderfoot
Jul 3, 2013
Ridgecrest, Ca.
Detector(s) used
White's GMT
Primary Interest:
Other

It's been a very long time since I was in Georgia where you are from but the Home Depot units will not hold up to our caliche out in the desert (High Mojave/Eastern Sierras). On top of that when you do repetitive digs in our hard ground ergonomics becomes a huge benefactor.

Some thoughts for the OP:
~What type of ground do you frequent? That would be my driving factor.
~The Apex & Royal units are great and last. You really have to make a choice on a unit that is made for prospecting and sampling. I would recommend against a regular rock geology hammer.
~I would definitely pay the extra for the magnets as they become very helpful.
~The other thing that no one ever speaks of is gloves. I always recommend wearing form fitting gloves while out. People blame the ergo of the handle but in fact it's their hands that are giving up. Gloves help.
~A lot of people where I am from weld pickaxe tips on the pointed end to help out with longevity of the tip.

Happy Prospecting,
Moise

goldchaser3

Jun 21, 2010
My favorite is the Hodan ProPick. That Hermit pick, above, looks good, too. They both have a wide (5+") back side which is extremely useful for moving dirt and sand and small rocks. The picks with 2-3" back sides don't move much dirt in each pull, taking much longer to dig.

TheGoldProspector

Apr 14, 2014
Detector(s) used

Garrett AT Pro - Bazooka Gold Trap 30" Prospector - Garrett Ace 250 - Blue Bowl Concentrator
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

rockygulchJoe

Jan 5, 2013
These are the three mid-size picks I have and use. The Estwing geo/paleo pick, the Hemet or Hermit pick as the guy's call it. And my favorite an (1943 W. Gilpin) that I found in an old mine shaft on my buddy's land and he let me keep it, so cool.

20140720_145756-1.jpg

20140720_151701.jpg

KiddoTheMiner

Jun 9, 2014
Forsyth county, GA
Detector(s) used
Jobe drop riffle sluice
Garrett gold pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
These are the three mid-size picks I have and use. The Estwing geo/paleo pick, the Hemet or Hermit pick as the guy's call it. And my favorite an (1943 W. Gilpin) that I found in an old mine shaft on my buddy's land and he let me keep it, so cool.

View attachment 1025871

View attachment 1025872

wow, that pic ya found in a mineshaft is incredibly cool, to think an actual gold rusher used it, I hope you don't beat it up too much

TheGoldProspector

Apr 14, 2014
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Prospecting
wow, that pic ya found in a mineshaft is incredibly cool, to think an actual gold rusher used it, I hope you don't beat it up too much
We are just as much a "gold rusher" as he/she was.. :)!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread