Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a I found it story but one of interest. I have hit a local elementary school a few times and always found a nice pocket full of clad. But I also keep coming up with objects of metal I can't identify. They appear to be parts to old machinery of some kind, well worn and rusted. I am constantly finding chunks of cast iron sewer pipe. I also get stopped cold some times when I detect an object say at 6", dig down 4 " and run into a chunk of concrrete or bricks, etc. I stopped to talk to a maintenance man the other day. He told me the school is sitting on top of an old dump and landfill site. That would explain why I keep getting all those signals a foot deep that my detector can't identify. I sure wish I could attack that area with a shovel, but I don't think the school board would be too thrilled about that! What's interesting is that I have lived here for over 50 years and no one has ever mentiioned that the area of the school was once a landfill! I'm sure surprised at some of the history of the town I am discovering since taking up metal detecting. Finding out such information to me is almost as much fun as the finding of coins or artifacts. Well, I said almost!
There is a triangle that sits right in the middle of downtown. It is within sight of the police station and City Hall. It has a bronze statue of the city founder and a sidewalk running down the middle of it. They have held many events there several times a year as far back as I can remember, although a relatively small area, about a hundred feet all three sides . The problem is that they keep the lawn immacuately manicured and I'm sure any digging would be frowned on even though it's public property. I am of a mnd to venture out there early some sunday morning and do a quick survey of the triangle even if I don't do any digging. I am afraid it may be too tempting. Also, there is a big bond issue project being started soon and will run through the next 3 years where there will be a lot of demolition and reconstruction. You can bet I am going to stay on top of this and be in there with my detector when things get moving. Right now I am kinda' at a stalemate, not many places left to hunt (good places) until something gets started.
Just some of the things going on in my neck of the woods and some food for thought. JIM

Upvote 0

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aint research great jim.Your right to stay on top of that reconstruction. Good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread