jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The gold glinting on your wedding band was likely born in a cataclysmic merger of two exceedingly exotic stars, astronomers report Wednesday.
Dying stars billions of years ago cooked up most of the lighter elements in the universe, the oxygen in the air and calcium of our bones, and blasted it across the cosmos in their final explosive moments. We are stardust, as the singer Joni Mitchell put it.
But some of the heaviest atoms, including gold, defied this explanation, requiring an even more exotic origin.
A team led by Harvard astronomer Edo Berger now reports that gold is likely created as an effect of the collision of two “neutron” stars. Neutron stars are the collapsed remains of imploded stars, incredibly dense stellar objects that weigh at least 1.4 times as much as the sun but are thought to be less than 10 miles wide.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Colliding stars could be source of gold on Earth

Saw this story in USA Today and thought it well worth sharing.

There's gold in them thar neutron stars!

That's right, astronomers claim Earth's gold, the stuff of wedding bands and pricey
speaker wires, originated in cataclysmic collisions of exotic stars.

Who knows...maybe we'll be marking claims on asteroids and buying "futures" for
binary star systems that are yet to collide with another!

The whole article..a very interesting read!

Gold on Earth formed in collision of exotic stars

dirtfisher23

Jul 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea, I read the story too...but it is still just another theory. It's not a "case closed" kind of
explanation. Interesting speculation though.
Dirtfisher23

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I saw it on TV. The whole time I was thinking, those scientist are bigger dreamers than I am, but then again they have to justify those big salaries don't they. Frank...

Cube.jpg

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
And now we know the real meaning behind, "Star light, star bright.....":laughing7:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Star light,star bright
Brightest star I've seen tonight,
Wish I may, wish I might
Have the wish I made tonight.

We said this and made a wish when we saw a shooting star. And if your girlfriend made the same wish, you had it made. Frank...

crystal ball 2  700.jpg

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking something along the lines of, "Star light, star bright, make a lot more gold tonight." :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread