Scioto River hunt!

choo

Jul 31, 2009
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went hunting a big gravel bar on the scioto River today it was a huge gravel bar it has been dry up here! So I got on the river & found a real nice crock about 10 minutes into the hunt! Then I found the 2 hole banded slate gorget about 20 minutes later the holes are drilled nice it is not damaged it might have been salvaged because it's not completely square it's a awesome piece that's all I found!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 156
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    629.3 KB · Views: 128
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    703.3 KB · Views: 104
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    630.5 KB · Views: 113
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 97
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 99
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 104
Upvote 0

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. Your Gorget may have been rectangular at one time but being rolled in the river for who knows how long probably beat the edges down quite a bit. Still one helluva find!! Congrats man!

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Either of those finds would have made my day as well. I like the crock but, I really like the gorget.

Sunny Side

Banned
Sep 15, 2019
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Based on the drilling it looks like it may have been a classic Quadraconcave gorget (adena). Rare find.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Cool find. You've already got two recommendations of what the original shape of the gorget was, I'll toss out a third option. Elliptical (oval shape) gorget since it looks thin. That one sided drilling is common on all of the types mentioned.

Neat little tap hole started just on the edge of one of the holes. Pretty common feature on gorgets as well.

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is an awesome find! What area of the Scioto were you searching? I used to search fields in southern Franklin Co. and most of Pickaway.

tnmudman

Feb 12, 2017
middle tennessee
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow! Two great finds there. A gorget is on my bucket list, I would take one like that any day. The crock is really cool too, I just watched a video on youtube today by Rocks Cousteau. He found one just like yours. I recommend his vids to anyone who hasnt seen them.

OP
OP
C

choo

Jul 31, 2009
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was on the pike county & scioto county line

OP
OP
C

choo

Jul 31, 2009
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I have seen rocks cousteaus videos he sure does a lot of hunting & finds lots of cool stuff!

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice save! It took a pounding on that river. But with two holes intact, that’s a remarkable artifact.
I like the banding -where it’s worn, you can make out the black and gray silt layering.
Seems polished?

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations! That is one heck of a find. Did you make the find closer to Chillocothe or Portsmouth? I'm close to Portsmouth.

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cool! A lot of neat stuff has com out of that river section (Of course I never find anything, lol!) I know for a fact that one artifact I found came down that river a thousand or more years ago.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Great finds. Congratulations

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread