Scoop comparison

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have both size Sunspots and can tell you that a lot depends on your skill and location. In the surf I suggest the larger one for most people because you have to get the target quickly or the next wave will fill the hole. Now days I really like the lighter weight of the smaller one.

It is hard to settle on one scoop for all places, handle designs, basket types and such. The main thing is we have gotta have a lot of holes for fast draining of the sand, shells and small rocks. I like the wood floating handle so I can rest it on the bottom and it is right there waiting for me. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
pdunc

pdunc

Aug 28, 2007
Maine
Detector(s) used
CZ-21
Thanks Sandman. I have used the larger one but find it kind of heavy, especially once it has a lot of sand and rocks in it. I have quite a few years of water detecting experience and do well enough on pin pointing. I hunt fresh water almost exclusively, so am leaning toward the smaller scoop. Thanks for your opinion which I've taken in the past, and value as well.

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
I have both also. I use the large in the water & the small when I will be doing mostly wet sand. Either way both are great scoops

Attachments

• scoops.jpg
    scoops.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 491

kc10bull

Jan 20, 2006
Palm Harbor, FL
Detector(s) used
excal / Fisher
There are several advantages for both. The large scoop removes more material form the target location, thus the possibility of getting the target on the first shot is a good one. So no multiple tries. Disadvantages: Depends on your physical abilities, the larger one will weigh more with the matrix brought up from the target area. Thus you can get worn out faster or you many struggle with a full loaded scoop or it may get stuck in the target area matrix. Wheather veining this usually occurs when you have a strong incoming or outgoing tide and it will try to pull your scoop in the direction the tide is moving as you walk with it in the water. I have had several occasions where it was so bad I could only detect in water up to my knees. This can occur with both large and small scoops but is more pronounced with the larger scoop. If you are detecting in a lake, pond, or calm waters great. The disadvantage with the small scoop it may take multiple tries to recover your target, this is bad if you have a strong current refilling your target hole while you are trying to recover the target! The advantage is that it's lighter, so you may be able to hunt for a longer time period. You won't have to struggle to free up the scoop if it get's stuck in the target recovery area matrix. As you can see from my avatar the scoop I use is of my own design it's name is Scoopzilla, it is HEAVY and sometimes after 6 to 8 hours in the gulf, people say I walk crooked and it's a real drag to carry it back to my truck! But it works for me. Also when I plant the scoop in the target area matrix, my guestimation is that my scoop weighs at a minimum of 35 + pounds and to pull that up to the surface is really tricky. But I have worked that out and have been using this scoop for about 8 years now. I hope this answers some of your questions.

stavr

Nov 9, 2008
Odessa
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000 & Explorer XS & GQAS v.2 Eric Foster &Eureka Gold & PI Dolphin (HM 9μS)
if your detector has a coil 10 "is the optimal size of scoop has a width of 7,5-8' and length 11-11,5'
I have such scoop www.stavrscoop.com

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the tricks that Max and I use is when we are in deeper water we'll pull the scoop up in short little hops with only one hand. This shakes out most of the material in short time so when it gets to the surface the scoop only has the goodie.

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
Sandman said:
One of the tricks that Max and I use is when we are in deeper water we'll pull the scoop up in short little hops with only one hand. This shakes out most of the material in short time so when it gets to the surface the scoop only has the goodie.
Until U get into places in the gulf loaded with shells-hence the lifting handles :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
pdunc

pdunc

Aug 28, 2007
Maine
Detector(s) used
CZ-21
Thanks guys. I should be getting the 6.5" Stealth from Chuck sometime next week. I really think I'll like the lighter weight. And that trick with pulling up the scoop with one hand with little jerks, somewhere along the way I picked that up myself. Works fine in sand, but the type of soil on the bottom of many of the Maine lakes I hit is somewhat clay and has to be broken up by hand in the scoop. We also have a lot of rocky bottoms that can be a real pain to dig in.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread