Scoop handle grips?

OP
OP
K

KapHI808

Feb 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Checked Sports Authority and the Bicycle shops. Nothing. No ski bend handle bar extensions either. A link to where I can order would be helpful.

Thank you

mikey15658

Tenderfoot
Oct 21, 2012
honolulu hawaii
Detector(s) used
whites dual field, vx3 , xlt , fisher f5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found using a old bicycle tube that has been cut into long strips, then wrapped tightly around the handle works really well. This will give you slip free grip. Give it a try before purchasing hand grips.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just use a coat of varnish and throw sand on it for a grip.

OP
OP
K

KapHI808

Feb 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
Thanks for the advice but the texture/ grippyness of the handle isn't the only thing I was looking for. The finger indents would be helpful in knowing by feel the orientation of the scoop. The grips I was thinking of would be like the RTG scoops.

btw. I use a thin coat of 5min epoxy and salt pressed in (rock salt for a lot of texture or table salt for a sandpaper like finish). After the epoxy has cured, I wash off the salt and that leaves a textured finish. I have been using that on my SUP paddles and 3 prong spears for many years.

Thank you

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KapHI: My experience with finger indent grips is that they tend to rotate under load.
Unless you cement/firm them some how they will move out of alignment and not indicate where the tip of the scoop is.

Problem with stripe on back of pole is that you have to illuminate it at night to see it, especially a black stripe.

A stripe with a bump (that you can feel) on back of the pole works best for me.
Next best is to tell where the scoop is pointing is with the lift handle.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

KapHI808

Feb 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
Thanks for all the great advice. Gravediggermax, that link is perfect! Thank you

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Whites Surfmaster Dual Field, Fisher CZ 6a,Teknetics G2,Deeptech Vista Gold, Tosoro Sand Shark, Minelab Sovereign GT, Sunspot sand scoop
Great info Max.

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why make a black stripe, there are more colors than black! Also, use a head lamp, then you can see a bit better. I work the 4 ft water area, and surly wouldnt do that without a light. Not that I need to see the bottom, but to see whats around me, and see what ends up in my scoop. Also, I let the boats or jet ski's know, when they get too near.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions