Scoop handle off set or straight. Your preference?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the 20 degree on both mine and really couldn't tell you why....just saw it said somewhere or the other and that is just what I got, or for the RTG I had ordered years ago is what they sent without my specifying. I think the 720i (w/20 degree) is the one that someone on here said to get, so I did, seems fine, and didn't realize there could actually be a methodology to this. Guess there
is though, and I will follow the thread to understand a bit more on this subject. Thanks !!

Last edited:

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have and use both, for different detecting conditions.
In rocks, shallow water I like the straight up. More than likely it is the re-bar point I have on the scoop with more of a point to get into the rocks and I have better leverage to lift it straight up out of the water. But it offers less twisting side to side control than an angled handle.
In the normal underwater conditions of sand/shell/weeds an muck, the angle handled scoop is my main digger. It is easier to dig a deeper target and it dose not have the open top as the straight handled scoop does. The "bucket" is easier for me to capture the target. I can put the bucket on an "open end up", swish the sand out and have less chance of dropping the target back into the water. However, it takes more effort to bring the loaded bucket to the surface. I also have a "P" style handle which I have never mastered and a small dry sand scoop with a walking cane's handle on it, the grip is 90 degrees to the shaft. That makes for a handy walking aid on the dry sand. My travel scoop has a smaller bucket and its handle on an angle, the only way it came, and works well in packing in a suite case and the really sandy beaches I vacation at.
As with all metal detecting equipment no one piece is the truly "THE BEST" and universal item will be "the best" for all conditions.
Pick and choose for the conditions you will detect in and the items you are searching for.
Don't forget about hole size. some will let a half-dime slip right on through - it happened to me and my buddy with a scoop with smaller holes tool the half-dime home with him. While smaller hole may catch a stud earring, they will make it more difficult to get the unwanted
material out of the bucket.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a 90 degree 720i and an angled T-Rex. I like the straight 720i when digging deeper holes up on the wet sand. I don't know why but it is easier get up out of hole and to empty than the angled head T-Rex.

Last edited:

stavr

Nov 9, 2008
Odessa
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000 & Explorer XS & GQAS v.2 Eric Foster &Eureka Gold & PI Dolphin (HM 9μS)
using a scoop-type semi cylinder (deleted for rule violation) is the perfect straight handle at an angle of 65-68 degrees (for with human growth 170-190 cm)

Last edited by a moderator:

jyt2017

May 7, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal WOT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Stavr style. I added stuff to the scoop. By angle is same. It's ideal imo. I just wish I got the wider version. Hh gl--Joe

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    850.5 KB · Views: 99

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the angled handle on all my scoops except for the hand scoops. I just like the scooping angle so I don't have to bend over much and I can stand behind the target more.

sandswimmer

Apr 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Xcal Xterra's DF
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have both the straight and angled, but like the straight on my stealth for just the reason you do....
I can pull/choke up on the handle while bringing the scoop straight up to the surface while clearing the sand at the same time. Even if its a full scoop of sand, it's easier to bounce it on the bottom a couple times first to lighten the load and its all done with one hand/arm...no handle assist needed!!
SS

strick

Feb 28, 2005
SF Bay Area
Detector(s) used
Embarrassed to tell
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Straight for wet sand and angled for dry sand is kinda how I have come to use my two stealth scoops.

strick

shinythings1

Greenie
Jun 1, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the angled, I like that I can put the tip of my scoop almost 90 degrees down into the sand and not have to lean all the way over to pull it back and out. I still dont know how some of you handle your scoop with one hand.... I have a stealth and it too heavy... Considered getting a smaller aluminum..

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the angled, I like that I can put the tip of my scoop almost 90 degrees down into the sand and not have to lean all the way over to pull it back and out. I still dont know how some of you handle your scoop with one hand.... I have a stealth and it too heavy... Considered getting a smaller aluminum..

The little 5" RTG Pro mini is my favorite scoop when hunting small freshwater swimming holes. It is so lightweight and maneuverable.

drafter

Greenie
Jan 15, 2016
Florida East Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Ctx 3030--Tesoro UMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have both and prefer the angle handle as it is easier to dig without bending over.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread